Is it normal to feel this way?

I don't feel like i'm fully black because i'm not from Africa. I feel like i'm a fraud because I was born and live in America. I watch African videos and get jealous because they were born where they belong while i'm in someone else's country. :/

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you're not in someone else's country. Because you ARE American. Nationality is not defined by ethnicity. In fact, nationality has nothing to do with ethnicity. You are completely American both legally and culturally. You've grown up in the US, so your beliefs, your ideology, your education, your lifestyle, your habits, your language, even the way you speak and move around is inherently American. These are the things that coin you as a person. Thinking that you are African simply because you're black is rather ridiculous. Sorry to be harsh but it's true. That's like all those white Americans who keep saying "I'm 7% Italian and 15% Irish and blablabla". Being a European, this also annoys me. I always want to tell these people "No, you're NOT." Maybe genetically there are some Italian or Irish (or Kenyan or Kongolese etc.) genes in you but that DOESN'T MAKE you Italian or Irish or Kenyan. Most of these white Americans who love to go on about their ancestry can't even speak Italian or Gaelic (or the language from the country they claim to be from). There's usually nothing Italian or Russian or German or Irish about them - they're just American (which is totally fine, there's nothing wrong with that!). Same with you. Believe me, if you would actually go and live in an African country for a year, you would realize that you have practically NOTHING with these people in common. You're black. So what. These people have different ways of thinking, different customs, different traditions, totally different types of food etc. etc. Your non-Africanness can also be seen in the fact that you identify with Africa as a whole continent. This shows quite some ignorance and would probably be very offensive to a person from Africa. Africa is a huge continent with vastly different countries and cultures. Morocco has absolutely nothing to do with South Africa and Somalia is as different from Senegal as it is from Germany or India.

What Guys Said 3

• If any of your ancestors in the Americas were slaves there is a fairly high chance you have white ancestors. It was fairly common practice to breed high value black male salves with the lower value Irish female slaves to make black babies that would sell for more money.

Not sure that this well help or not help you feel like any less of a fraud but it's interesting to think about...

• wot's da tone of yer skin colr then?

• lol, this is an immigrant country. Nobody should feel like they're natives here except the native Americans. Lol what you are talking about is the nationalistic pride. Even if you are blacks, we as Africans shouldn't feel superior to you because at the end of the day, you are much closer to us then any other race. But I can understand the envy since most African migrants are proud as hell from the countries they represent:p

What Girls Said 3

• So are white people that live in Africa frauds for being there? Are whites frauds because only native americans were here first?

• No, but white people basically own America and everywhere else. But, Africa is where it can really be ours. I never said white people were frauds, I said that I felt like a fraud for not being from where i'm supposed to be from.

• If you think it would help, why not start saving so that you can take a trip there? Maybe being with the people of your ancestry will help bring a sense of peace to you. Or maybe move to a city that is more a black community then white. Do you live in an area that is primarily white?

• I know African people and they typically don't really consider us African, only African American.
    It makes me upset but I guess I understand

• It's normal.