How can I get them to stop calling me a racist?

They keep calling me a racist because my dad is a police officer. They think because he is a police officer he is racist (which he isn't) and therefore they think that I would be too. Not trying to sound ignorant of course, but I was walking around my neighborhood today. I don't usually go outside. I saw a group of people, one of the girls had called me over. I was about to walk over when a boy said, "nah don't talk to her, she might get her daddy to come shoot us saying we were trying to rob her or some shit." I walked over and said, "why would I do that," he said "because cops are some racist ass pigs and I know if your dad is racist then there's a good chance you are too." I tried to explain to them that neither me or my dad is racist but they just rolled their eyes at me and told me to get out of their face :/ When I turned around to go home, one of the girls started walking with me and told me not to worry about them and all and she gave me her kik and all. I just don't want this whole being racist thing to get around so everyone can just hate me._. I've heard a lot of African-Americans view the police negatively after all that's happened but not all are like that :c

Most Helpful Girl

• Just try not to encounter them anymore and that girl who gave you her kik, don't tell her anything personal because you don't know her well enough to see if she'll run her mouth to everyone. There are a lot of ignorant people and they use what's going on around them as an excuse to hate everyone and everything. I don't hate the police. I don't hate anyone. Sometimes things happen, and the best thing would be to prevent yourself from getting caught in situations where the worst may happen and learn from what has happened but no. Everything has to be solved with more and more ignorance.

What Guys Said 3

• stereotypes rarely do anyone any good. This goes both ways, though. Minorities are wary of cops in general, but that's not entirely without cause - as cops are generally "wary" of minorities. The thing is that sometimes cops express their wariness with force. Even if it's rare, it still happens, and minorities aren't allowed to meet it with the same force. Such injustice pisses people off. When people are pissed off they act irrationally. And giving into stereotypes are usually the first steps in irrational behavior.

But that's all beside the point. If people are the type to 'hate' for no reason, do you really want to be friends with them? Because even if your father was not a cop, if you don't fit their narrow ideals they're still going to hate you for it. Why bother?

• I don't want to be friends with them, I just don't want them to view me as someone i'm not.

• that's like trying to ask someone else's dog not to bark at you. It is neither possible nor necessary :-/

• they r stupid as fuck... by da fact yer dad's a cop doesn't mean u r racist... and not all cops r racists.. gosh

• serves you right.

All your people do is shoot unarmed blacks for nothing. You don't give a damn about a negro.

You let the white man rape kids and have him to set free and you shoot unarmed black men for nothing at all.

The system wasn't made for a negro.

What Girls Said 3

• Stick to the people who are nice to you and if the behavior carries over at school tell a teacher or the principal you're being harassed.

• The thing is, people generalize things. They go by stereotypes, if one cop kills one person all cops should kill too, right? No, not right. Don't care what these people say about your dad, show that you're PROUD of your dad instead and that their words do not affect you. Brush it off.. they are just trying to start an argument. Just smile to them and say: Yes.. but one thing that I know for sure, is that my dad is a good man and my conscience is clear. And then walk away and don't explain anything, leave these simple words for them and say nothing more. Doing this, you'll show them that their words mean nothing to you and you stand by what you believe, therefore showing that you're 10 times more mature than them.

• I personally don't fuck with police in general but you shouldn't try to kiss these ppls asses. You've already explained you and your dad aren't racist so what else can u do?