Is it plagiarism if you paraphrase something And cite it at the same time?

My uni teacher said that a lot of us plagarized because we didn't put quotation marks even though we cited it. He said paraphrasing it and citing it is cheating. I'm a bit confused though because I've Had English lessons in highschool and uni and I was never told that paraphrasing it is plagirism if we cite it properly :/

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you don't need to put quotes around a paraphrase. In fact, you shouldn't, because that's not what the original person actually said. So you would be misrepresenting their statement if you put quotes around something they didn't actually say. You do need to cite it, which looks a little different if you are writing to APA or MLA standards.

However, a lot of people improperly paraphrase. So that might be what the issue is. Changing a few words to synonyms doesn't count as paraphrasing. Using the original author's own writing style doesn't count either - the paraphrase needs to sound like you, not them. If you are including specific phrases and stuff that they said, that will need to be put in quotes as well.

My guess would be that a lot of people were incorrectly paraphrasing, and that's what sent the professor off.

What Guys Said 2

• no... where's da cheatin here?

• Paraphrasing is not plagarism, but it is considered proper to add a footnote to teh page involving the paraphrasing itself that directly attributes it to the source as well as teh citation at the end. The footnote is linked to the specific portion of text that is paraphrased by a superscript at the end of the sentence (s).

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think it is.