How to get over deep deep depression and loss?

Most Helpful Guy

• This will depend on whether it is a clinical depression, or a depressive episode caused by a specific trigger. Since you are also mentioning loss, I will assume it's probably a specific depressive episode and not an issue with brain chemistry. They will need different advice, so if you are suffering a more generic case of depression let me know, it changes my answer.

For dealing with grief, a sorrow caused by the death of a loved one, say, you'll need to let yourself go through the stages. You'll want to acknowledge and accept the feelings. Which you may already be doing by posting about it.

You'll want to try to fill the feelings of emptiness that can accompany it, depending on how close the connection was. Getting into a good relationship, doing volunteer work, picking up a new hobby, going travelling... something that you can use to fill the feeling of a void.

You'll want to try to grow from it, to take a lesson from the loss, and use that lesson, that growth, as a way to remember the person and feel like you are taking a piece of them with you as you move forward, a positive step, something that they would be proud of you for.

Similarly, you'll want to try to replace negative feelings with positive ones. It can be hard at first, but you'll want to start looking at the other positive things in your life, remember the positive things this person contributed, thing about the positive elements you can bring with you into the future.

You will want to let yourself move forward, to detach yourself from the pain of loss, and be able to look it as a collection of good memories, but not a shackle to the past.

You'll also want to start learning to regulate your emotions in a more general sense. This doesn't only apply in periods of loss, this should be an ongoing thing, but it really becomes apparent when under a lot stress and sorrow. It involves understanding the natural ebb and flow of emotions, the flow of positive experiences, and negative experiences, and not let the negative ones weight too heavily on you because you understand they are an inherent part of the system.

Things like writing in a journal, or talking to people, can help you get your emotions out and start thinking about things in a more linear fashion. It can get jumbled up trying to keep in all in your head. Let yourself feel your emotions, let yourself cry. Confide in people that you feel you can trust. And if it gets too much, seek professional help.

What Guys Said 11

• I believe on must accept the sadness and all the emotions and not try to run away from it. For every tear we process the emotions a little bit.

But it's also easy to fall into the endless cycle of self pity when all this sadness kicks in and that is not very helpful.

• I imagine it is tough and will take a while. I would suggest to try and keep your life and day to day routine similar to what was before the loss so you do not dwell on it too much. If that is too much then at least get out and do something and maybe talk to someone close to you who you trust so that all the emotions are not just being pushed down and buried. It can be a long hard battle or fairly short one. Prayers to whoever it is being affected by it though!

• My doctor had prescribed me like every anti depressent imaginable. He finally put me on adderall and it actually helps a lot. It makes you more productive, so you aren't noticing the depression. It also just makes you feel better in general.

• I just lost my mother, the Sunday after Mother's Day. It's rough but you just gotta keep pressing on.

• I been there more than I ever wanted to be. I have to take it one day at a time and deal with it.

• Find new mainstay on your life. Better to find it in yourself, your core, what you love, which is stronger than anything else.

• Don't cloister yourself alone in your room. Go out in the sun and talk to people or work on a project, even if you don't feel like it.

• b more optimistic... y u feel depressed though?

• You don't get OVER IT. you work THROUGH it.

• You don't you should have found god

What Girls Said 3

• There is truly no way to get over depression. I have been suffering from depression for as long back as I can remember. I have lost my best friend, a few other friends, my cousin, my sister, my grandmother, my aunt, and my grandfather all within a few years of each other. The pain of loss will never go away. Whether it is loss to death or otherwise. The pain might lessen but it will always be there. Until you find an inner peace with yourself, your mood will stay the same. I learned that the hard way. Try getting out more or finding something that helps take the stress off your shoulders. To me, writing is the only way I can deal with things.

• travelling is the best way... you met new people, you'll se another side of the world.. and suddenly your problem/sorrow is not that big compared to the one you saw..

try it, it helpful.. at least for me (I lost my mum last year, I knew that feel...)

• counseling is the best way.