White people: does use of the "N word" bother you?

When someone says the word "nigger" I immediately lose respect for them. I'm not talking about saying "what's up my nigga" or something of that nature, but the derogatory use of the word n**.
I'm white, but the use of the word has always offended me, so much so that I won't date a guy who uses it and I've gotten in arguments with family members who use it.
Other white people I know claim not to be racist but don't mind the word being thrown around. I don't get that. Its a nasty, hateful and derogatory word that was used to degrade and dehumanize black people for years in this country and there's no way to just passively accept its use.
Other white ppl: does it bother you? If so, do you say something?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's one of the most nastiest and derogatory words in the human language. The "n word" is one word that should have been buried decades ago, but unfortunately we still have racist ignorant people who continue to resurrect it.

When I hear someone use that word they lose all respect from me.

What Guys Said 12

• The use of it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that when a white person uses it it is racist, anyone colored it's a term of endearment. Honestly i hate the idea of racism. Not because i think it is wrong to judge people on their skin color, but because "people being racist" has become a crutch. I get so sick of people always making situations about their race.

• Saying something like "what's up my nigga" isn't meant with the same intent as "I saw this dumb n** at Walmart"

• says who? context and intent are important

• I disagree if i were to call say my mom for instance a bitch. It wouldn't matter the context or intent because i still just called my mom a bitch.

• I didn't like the word even when I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s. It just seemed derogatory the way it was said.

• It doesn't offend me, exactly... but I do lose some respect for people who use it in a derogatory manner, as I do with anyone who treats others badly for no good reason.
    I do, however, use it in quotes, in writing, and in a satirical manner (I'd like to say, "in much the same way Mark Twain does in Huck Finn, but then, I'd feel ridiculous trying to compare myself to Mark Twain). As with most things, there is a time for its use and many many more times when it just shouldn't be used.

• personally i never use it!

• I don't like hearing it from anyone, even black people.

• I don't like hearing it in any context. It's just not appropriate.

• It doesn't offend me at all.

• From a historical perspective it bothers me because of how the word was used. In a more contemporary perspective however, it does not bother me that much. I'm white and I've been referred to as the "n" word many times by friends and acquaintances. When it does bother me now is when someone who isn't black uses the term very liberally. The word now is morphing more into a term of close friendship with someone, but I still very rarely use the term, only when quoting something do I use it.

• I don't like it cause I feel uncomfortable when people say it cause I don't say stuff like that or swear

• It's a disgusting word which should have been eradicated with the Arian ideology.

It's unfortunate that the word is kept alive by high profile rappers and used by some African Americans as a term of endearment.

• being honest, I'm white and i DO use this word in the Nigga form only when it's appropriate and around others who know me and it's acceptable with them... and I NEVER use it in the "er" form... too derogatory.

• How is "nigga" appropriate unless you are quoting someone?

• first off, I'm not racist, but just gotta say... the black community has made the term "nigga" acceptable (again to those who are accepted to use it)... they use it so much it's become commonplace. Again, I never use the er version under any circumstances, but the "a" version is just part of everyday vernacular now. just saying.

• The word is coming back. Obama and politics have split us for political reasons.

What Girls Said 5

• I may sound entirely arrogant when I say this, but I think the word "nigger" has evolved to mean more than a black person. I think it's just a straight up derogatory term that can describe a person of any race. In which case I don't think it's ever really a good thing to talk negatively about other people. I personally do not like to talk trash about other people, and I won't do it with my friends either. If my friends start talking smack about someone I let them know that I want no part in that, and if they continue talking negatively about other people when they know I don't like it, then they're not real friends, and they're not worth my time.

• I don't like to hear either version, but hearing the word "niggER" just makes cringe in general. And when it's aimed at me it's even worse. It's just a very nasty word.

• Doesn't offend me. I just don't use it. It's immature and derogatory.

• It's so stupid and immature I see no good reason to use it.

• it bothers me so much!