Was College Worth It? How Much Do You Make Per Year?

This may be a stupid question, but I feel like a loser right now XD! I was reading some statistics, and here is what I got from most of them: High School Drop Outs: Less Than $20,000 a year. High School Diploma $30,000 a year. Associates Degree: $35,000 a year. Bachelors Degree: $50,000 a year. Masters $60,000 a year. These are stats that I have seen quite often everywhere. I am 24, got out of college last year with a Bachelors degree. I just got a professional job, but I am making $30,000 a year! Is this typical? What are you making and what kind of degree do you have?

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the truth: having a degree or not having a degree has no true bearing on your ability to either have a small or large salary.

Those stats are merely correlations. They are not set in stone. A lot of the wealthiest people in the US were college dropouts. They took the money they would have spent on "education" and built a business instead. In fact, this is a very common theme with the wealthy.

Or what about people who get a degree in one field, get sick of it, then simply outright switch fields without any formal credentials--then wildly succeed and reach the heights of the profession. Happens a lot.

The truth is, college is simply an advantage (or a disadvantage if you took out too many loans) that gets tossed in the mix with all of your other personal advantages and disadvantages. It is NOT the determiner of your success or potential earnings.

I'd advise you not to take general statistics too seriously. They are not predictors of individual success, and you can poison your mind into believing negative and self-limiting things (e. g., "I have a BA, so I can only make $35000).

You can make however much money you want, provided you set a target and formulate a realistic plan to get you there. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

What Girls Said 1

• If I had to do it again, I wouldn't go to college.

• I agree... I would totally get my Masters degree... BUT... I don't think it's worth it. While it would look good on a resume, coupled with the work experience I have, I would be floating in college debt for the rest of my life. I know people who have Masters... but they are 60K+ in debt.

• I am 24 and live with my parents. I use my job (that I am making 30K) at to pay off my student loans. I started at 22K worth of debt... now I am down to 14K.

What Guys Said 8

• degrees aren't a guarantee for big money for 100% of people who get them, if anything it only helps for like the 2% of people who get them, the rest get fucked somewhere in between. my friend who has no college degree is already making big money as opposed to my other friends who have just recently graduated and never had work experience their entire lives, and then the others who did graduate but are only making a little above minimum wage.

a degree is awesome but its not what it used to be, its more safe to have 1 at this point.

• I would get tied up in stats - I ended up in a field unrelated to my degree so where I am now has more to do with luck rather than my qualifications.

• Running the numbers it begins to look as if higher learning centers are running scam operations with the federal lenders as willing participants.

• nah... never been 2 college... and happy 8)

• What do you do for work then?

• It's so worth it. I got 2 Bachelor degrees. I made $90K last year, which in bay area california goes really, really fast. And I'm in consulting.

• Note that what someone studies is critical. Who gives a fuck if you have a bachelor degree. It has to be something with economic value. It needs to be: computer science-related, engineering, business-related, pre-med/dental, etc. NOT: fine arts, arts, English , history, pol sci, psychology type degrees. Those are shit (but fun) and not worth tuition money.

• Yeah that's is entry level salary. I make 35-40 depending on how much OT I work over the course of the year

I have an associates degree

• I make more...

• How much are you making? What do you do? What did you major in? Did you even Go To College? Bachelors Degree?

• 30k seems to be the norm for graduates.