Singular or plural?

Look at this sentence please:

The warmth and love he enjoyed from his family was constrasted to the cold and indifferent manners of his girlfriend.

Can I use "is" here or it is necessary to say "ARE contrasted"?

Most Helpful Guy

• Count the number of subjects at the start. In this case there are two, so plural applies. The correct word is "are".

"The warmth and love... are in contrast..." for example.

Another way to look at it is change the subject to "They are... in contrast..."

If it was just the word "Love", it would become "It is... in contrast..

What Guys Said 3

• Plural. So many don't know this? Amazing.. it is plural. See what I have plasted below:
    Rule 4. As a general rule, use a plural verb with two or more subjects when they are connected by and.

Example: A car and a bike are my means of transportation.

But note these exceptions:

Exceptions:
    Breaking and entering is against the law.
    The bed and breakfast was charming.

In those sentences, breaking and entering and bed and breakfast are compound nouns

• singular yo

• Yes you can use 'is'

What Girls Said 2

• Well technically the sentence is correct now because it's in past tense.

If you're going to make it present tense then yes are is correct and using is is improper grammar. But like I was saying if that's the case then you need to change enjoyed to enjoy and make it present tense.

• You can use "is".