Who do you think of first when you hear the name "Hannibal"?

I think of the great Carthaginian General Hannibal Barca, whom almost destroyed the Roman Republic in the Second Punic War.

Who do you think of first when you hear the name

I assumed everyone thought of the man as well when the name "Hannibal" was mentioned; I didn't know of any other famous Hannibal. However, someone else mentioned that they think of antagonist from "The Silence of the Lambs" when they hear the name "Hannibal"-something I was shocked to discover.

So, tell me, whom do you think of first when hearing the name "Hannibal"?

Most Helpful Girl

• He didn't destroy Rome. He actually led his men to death by that offensive from Spain to Northern Italy and was the cause that Romans wiped out the old city of Carthage from the face of the earth.

"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis."

• I said he almost destroyed Rome--he would've certainly pulled it off if not for the avalanche in the Alps that killed half his men.

• well he was a genius the Romans themselves praised him they have poems about the invasion. But it was bold too. Rome was weak when Hannibal attacked and still they managed to fight back. and when they were fresh again they immediately destroyed the weakened Carthage.

One of them should be destroyed so the other one rises, and Rome didn't gamble in its way.

• thank you for Mho.

What Girls Said 6

What Guys Said 11

• First I think wisdom at it's finest. But then I remember it's Hannibal, not Hammurabi.

• Hannibal the military leader
    Then the movie
    Then a prison gaurd in one piece

• Carthago... and an army of elephants and hispanic and gaul mercenaries crossing the Alps, going to attack Rome. There is also a myth about him, being the one who founded the city of Barcelona (Barcino in ancient times); but aparently it's just that.. a myth... sadly :(

• bout "pizza" actually...

• I also thought of Hannibal Barca, actually. Second thought was Hannibal Lecter.

• Lecter for sure. I'm familiar with the historical Hannibal, but Silence of the Lambs is one of the greatest thrillers ever made and Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Lecter is one of the most chilling movie villains you're going to see.

• I think of a cannibal who changed his name to hannibal

• Cannibals!

• I think about cannibalism

• Cannibal it rhymes. I don't think I herd of Hannibal Barca before. I should look him up.

• Hannibal Lecter and Raymond Reddington.