What is the definition of a good professor to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Being explainable, don't give lousy bad or good grades, but make you to become better and better. Being to the point and being engaged with the subject and not give the impression that he/she is bored.

What Guys Said 9

• Hmm.
    One that is willing to get up and actually teach, not just read from powerpoints =P. Also is able to meet with their students outside of class, and does everything they can to help!

• Someone who inspires a student's intellectual curiosity. Someone who serves as a mentor in self-improvement. Someone who inspires the student to take 100% responsibility for themselves and the results in their life.

As far as academics are concerned, that's the student's responsibility to figure out. Having trouble on homework? Find help from someone. Didn't know what the assignment was? Not the professor's problem. So on, so forth.

• one who won't lay his/her hands on me in 1 way or another ;)

• I think someone who's an expert in his work area.
    I used to be called the "distracted professor", I'm very absent minded :-)

• They must be like my physics and chemistry teacher and back in Egypt my Arabic teacher, the teacher must be like a friend of urs and to laugh with the students at the class my physics teacher before every exam he gives us chocolate and Pepsi

• Presents the material well...

• He/she has genuine concern for your success in his/her classes. Trust me, I've had apathetic teachers before. They suck major eggs.

• professor snape

• Professor Xavier. (X men)

What Girls Said 4

• Someone who is passionate about what they teach.

• One who's interesting, informative and helpful. One who's interested in their subject but cares about their students and wants them to do well. One who's easy to understand, and has helpful information about supplementary material. One who's patient and answers questions -and one who takes office hours seriously. One who makes sure the students have easy access to assignments. One who grades fairly based on performance.

• One that talks to you and not at you. Speaks clearly and makes sure that things are understood before rushing on to the next thing. Makes things interesting. Understands that different people have different ways of learning.

• Hmm, I disagree with that a bit.

In high school, yes I'd agree that's how a teacher should be. But in university, I think it's both fair and necessary to hold students to a higher standard of autonomy.

By this point, students should understand how they learn and be taking the necessary measures on their own to ensure they understand the course material. There simply isn't time, when teaching advanced material costing all attendees multiple thousands of dollars, to stop and explain something again and again to a student who is struggling--that student needs to set aside more study time, attend office hours, and seek help in other forms as well.

• Now I'm not saying you or the other students shouldn't have been in school--I wasn't there to witness the quality of the professor or see what students were doing. I'm speaking in very general terms, just to make that clear.

That said, many people who go to college simply shouldn't be. It's a false notion that everyone should go to college, it's simply the new cultural norm, and I think for many, it's a very costly mistake. There are real alternatives to college, many of them quite profitable actually. Some people should pursue those options--and that is true of students with good grades too (I'm not judging anyone's academic abilities in these statements).

• @ScruffyNerfHerder I agree that college isn't for everyone. And I've openly said that I have trouble when it comes to anything math related. I understand all of what you're saying but like I said, 16 students failed in a 21 student class doesn't reflect on the students. That reflects back to the professor. It's so weird because she made lots of the arguments that you're making about college not being for everyone and all. I took that same class with a different professor that had a totally different method of teaching and guess what? I passed with a B.

I see what you're saying tho, but in this instance, I feel like it was more her than all of us.

• Some thats nice, chill, and I can understand.