Is it frowned upon for white people to go to KFC in America or something?

I just remembered this experience and I never got any answers apart from what my American friend told me.

What happened was, a couple of years ago I went to the United States to see a friend I went to school with. He lived in a place near chicago called Lake Bluff.
Airline food is shit so when I was hungry when I got there and went to a KFC I saw near my friends place.
When I walked in there were ONLY black people in there and it was like they all stopped talking and just stared at me with wide eyes. Then to make it worse, I couldn't understand the last thing the checkout chick said and after a few "I beg your pardons" one of the black people eating in the restaurant just yelled at me really slowly "WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT!" And they all laughed and I just got my food with fries and left.

I told my friend about it and he said around there, only black people go to KFC.
Is that true, is there something wrong with white people going to KFC around there?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• No, not only black people go to KFC. That's like saying only white girls go to Starbucks.

• I know the stereotype that black people love to go to KFC, but I thought everyone goes to KFC, lol.
    At least you enjoyed your meal :)

• I got sick the next day actually. I think that had more to do with the fact I was wearing shorts in the middle of Chicago winter.

• bunch of bullshit since everyone goes to KFC

• It could've just been a particular neighbourhood thing as someone else suggested

• yes that is a possibility that a certain race lives in that neighbourhood more than others I suppose

• I think I've finally realised for myself what it was. I had shorts on and it was winter in Chicago.

• Everyone goes to KFC.

• Everyone goes to KFC... but I've been told KFC was for white people and Popeye's was for black people.

• Really? That's interesting. I don't know if they had Popeye's around there though. I'm not even sure how close that KFC was to lake bluff. As a foreigner, I really had no idea where I was. It was on the way from the airport.

• But I hope you enjoy your trip.

• It was two years ago. I went for a drive around the area. Yeah was blown away by the size of some of the houses. Like huge fucking mansions. Never seen anything like it.
      Personally I liked Florida better though.

What Guys Said 7

• It was likely in a neighborhood that was predominantly black, so the patrons were black. I have gotten food at KFC's most of my life and never noticed any that had a clientele that were different than the surrounding neighborhood. And that is pretty much true of any restaurant.

• Yeah that's a good point. I'm not even sure exactly where I was as I commented before. Could've just been a black neighbourhood.
      I mean they did seem to lighten up once I opened my mouth and made it obvious I was a foreigner.

• A bunch of black people made fun of you because you were different

It would be hilarious if it didn't defeat the purpose of everything Martin Luthor King fought for

The place only had black people because obviously the black people in that town/state/etc are all horrible racist bigots

• I don't know about them all being racist. It should also be taken into account that I was also a foreigner as well as being white. Maybe they could tell.

• Ummmm... ok, maybe it was just that particular KFC where they find it unusual for a white guy to walk in. Normally, that reaction isn't gonna happen though. Popeyes is better though.

• I'm not even sure where it was to be honest. It was between Chicago and lake bluff. Might've just been a black area.

It was a pretty long drive. About an hour.

• the story doesn't have much believability for me, but in any case, its a generalization that your friend is making about black people, which increasingly seems like a common thing to do un the usa

• You're not the first person to say that. This dead set happened, what's so unbelievable about it?

• I'm thinking I got the looks because I had shorts on now.
      And as for the yelling out and laughing its because Americans are a loud and abnoxious people.

• But then, the guy I was there to see did say the KFC around there was frequented mostly by the black people but he is a bit racist for mine, it must be said.
      It was a shrug off kind of answer I got from him too.

• Lake Bluff is a really wealthy neighborhood in the Chicago and that's where Brian Urlacher and Richadd Marx are from, and perhaps that at that KFC only black people patron there because of the area.

• Yeah, it looked like it. We drove around to Lake Forrest and some of the houses were just fucking huge, like enormous mansions. Never seen anything like it.

• Did you drive to Michael Jordan's house? He has the numbers "23" on the front of his gated fence.

• Yeah we did. Couldn't see his house though, just the gates.

• It was probably just the neighborhood you were in. It's normal for literally anyone to go to KFC.

• Maybe it was just the neighbourhood. My friend did say only black people went around there. Was a couple of years ago too, things may have changed.

• Cool made up story