Anyone know some really good 80s/90s anime movies/OVA's?

I loved the films Ninja Scrolls, Vampire Hunter D, Miyazaki films (specifically Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind), Wicked City, and Macross Plus for reference on the type of anime I like.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of some anime films similar to those in tone and style that might be less known that I could have missed. I just hate modern anime it all seems way too creepy with the super awkward guys who turn into morons when around women and the girls all wearing really skimpy clothes while acting super naive and innocent.

Most Helpful Guy

• Grave of the Fireflies. Historical fiction about a brother and sister trying to survive during the Allied firebombing of Japan. It reminds us that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were by no means the only bombing campaigns on Japan, and it serves as a reminder to nations that want to pick a fight: your own children could pay the price.

I don't think it's the tone or style you're going for. It's really a drama (and a damn good one). But try it anyways

What Girls Said 1

• The only thing I can suggest is Akira, but surely you must know this already. For me every manga/anime type thing is just rubbish in comparison.

• Yeah I've seen Akira multiple times. There's quite a few movies I didn't list just because I didn't want to make the list too long since I think I made the point of what I liked. I agree there's a lot of crap manga/anime out there now.

What Guys Said 3

• There were only so many of them from the 80's and 90's.
    Unfortunately, chances are you being an anime fan would probably know them all.

• I get that feeling as well. I'm not sure why there wasn't a huge amount because the quality was fantastic and I know it was popular back then. There's a massive amount now but they are pretty bleh in comparison and I know it's not nostalgia either since I'll rewatch some of the old movies every once in awhile.

• You should try like looking at similar genres from the time. Sometimes you can expand your tastes

• Witch Hunter Robin. This wasn't made in the 80's or 90's, but I count it as one of the best anime series that I've watched.

• Never heard of it thanks. I see it's in 2002 but at least it's on the better half. I feel like after 2004 anime style had a huge change and became really weird with how people looked (overly massive eyes) and everything is about teenage kids now.

• Try lupin the 3rd and yu yu hakusho