Can black people get tans?

I always wondered. Do they become the actual color black or something?

Most Helpful Girl

• yes they can? u do know that the only difference between dark and light skin is the amount of melanin right?
    anyone who's in the sun and has their skin darker just means theyv got more melanin.

i dot know about the second part of ur question as thats slightly absurd.

What Girls Said 16

• yes we tan, no unless you are already of a extremely dark tone you dont turn black like the color. its not like putting something in the oven.

• Yes they can get darker, they just need more exposure.
    Just like a pale person would need less time to burn compared to a tan person, black people need more sun to get darker

• is this a serious question...

• Black people have a higher concentration of melanin in their skin, which renders them adaptable in warm places, and protects them from the sunlight better than the skin of Caucasian people. During the winter, like all people, black people will get a lighter skin due to the lack of sun. When the summer arrive, they can get darker again, just like Caucasian people do.

TL;DR Yes. Their skin becomes more tan/darker.

Hope this helped. :)

• I actually already knew that. But did you know that our lower melanin allows us white people to get more vitamin D from the sun?

hailing from scorching Africa, black people developed high concentrations of melanin to better preotect them from the more intense sunlight.

Hailing from Europe , we white people developed lower concentrations of melanin to get as much vitamin D as we can from what relatively little direct sunlight that continent gets.

• Wow, that's pretty interesting actually. Thanks for the info!

• Yes, actually, if they are lighter skinned.

• They tan the way everyone else does - their skin gets a little darker. The fuck did you think happened?

• Well, we white people actually usually turn orange.

• Only if you're getting a spray tan. I'm white. I turn brown. Jesus.

• I can't believe that you're asking this...
    Yes, we do get tans, we become darker.

• Yes. I tan extremely easily actually. It takes me about 10mins to go a shade darker

• Yes we do get tans. I get tan. You become darker

• The reason why are skin is dark is because are ancestors lived in Africa where it was really hot and sunny and our skin helped to not be as vulnerable to the sun's radiation which is why if we do tan we need more exposure and we don't turn black,

• Yes. And the reason our skin is white is because our ancestors hailed from Europe , which does not get as much direct sunlight as Africa, so they developed lower concentrations of melanin in order to absorb as much Vitamin D from what sunlight they did get.

• Yes, we get darker.

• I get darker lol

• Yes, it's just not as noticeable

• yes we do get tan and we get lighter during the winters too.

• Do they turn white or something when exposed to the sun?

• I tend to get a bit darker.

• I don't think so.

What Guys Said 3

• white tan no?

• Yes, my cousins are mixed race and they can get tan with no problem.

• They do. They can even get sun-burned. But, of course, they are less susceptible than white people.