Do you think homosexuality and transgenderality are psychological disorders?

One of my facebook friends recently posted that they believe homosexuality and transgenderality are psychological disorders. I don't agree. However, it did make me wonder how many other people thought this and why?

SO... DO YOU THINK THAT HOMOSEXUALITY AND TRANSGENDERALITY ARE PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS? WHY OR WHY NOT?

*Please be respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinions*

• Yes. Homosexuality and transgenderality are psychological disorders.
  • No. Homosexuality and transgenderality are NOT psychological disorders.
  • Eh. I'm straddling the fence on this one.
  • I. Have. No. Idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your friend is severely misinformed, and probably because they're a massive bigot. Firstly, homosexuality and being transgender have been declassified as psychological disorders by most major psychological organizations, so the people who are actually in charge of determining this stuff and study it for a living obviously disagree. And I would think they're the ones to trust. And even "dysphoria" which is basically the only transgender-related psychological disorder isn't even about them being trans, but rather about the discomfort they feel from feeling their body is "wrong" and from societal rejection, and the general treatment is hormones or sex reassignment surgery.

So no, neither are psychological disorders of any sort.

What Guys Said 8

• They might be born that way but that doesn't mean it is normal. What would we call a deer that only tried to mate with male deer? A victim of some sort of disorder. The truth is from a scientific stand point it isn't normal. It just simply doesn't make sense.
    All organisms are meant to reproduce so... i don't know, you tell me. I don't mean to offend anyone (that's impossible) but that is just the scientific stand point. Whether it is a physical disorder, a mental disorder, and psychological thing or no disorder at all is not for me to dictate.

Now ill just sit back and wait to have my comment removed...

• I'm not going to remove your comment (I don't even know if I can). Thank you for sharing your opinion!

• Oh no, other people will. Well there is a ~ 75% chance

• No, it's not a disorder because it is seen in nature. Animals are gay just like humans. There is nothing wrong with it and science is suggesting that homosexuality is actually necessary for a species to prevent over population. The Earth already has 7 billion humans, if everybody was procreating we would be bursting at the seams.

• I also don't think transgenderality is a word.

• You see all organisms on this earth have one goal; that is, to reproduce. You forget that population is limited by the environment. For example when there isn't enough food the population decreases thusly bringing the population down to a manageable level for its surroundings. Its called the dynamic equilibrium of the population.

This argument can be related closely to Darwin argument that species don't choose to evolve. Before his trip around the world and following research many believed that an animal evolved because it wanted to evolve. Darwin realized that organisms don't work like that. They evolve through a series of mutations lasting hundreds of thousands of years. Do you see how yours and many other scientist's theory has holes in it. Many of which can be found through a standard biology class.

• So explain why an animal doesn't just die when it can no longer reproduce? If a species only goal is to reproduce then infertile beings should just kill themselves or they serve no purpose on Earth, right? I don't think they would have taught you an absolute like that in a biology class.

• No they are born that way.

• They have congenital roots; it's physiological.

• No they aren't. And anyone who thinks so can suck my metaphorical dick with that bullshit, I'm not about to explain the incredible stupidity of such an idea. Gosh.

• I don't think there is any one right answer. There are likely many different things that cause people to turn out that way, but physical, and psychological. I think most of the time it is physical, but I am sure that there are psychological reasons for it as well. It really doesn't matter why they are that way, as long as we respect that is how they want to live their lives.

• No, they are not psychological, but genetic disorders, and/or hormonal disbalance.

• Homosexuality, no. Transgenderality, yes.

What Girls Said 9

• For those of you who said yes please get more schooling and less church unless you plan to be Amish.

• The first one no. The second one yes. It's not normal to have a mental disconnection between your physical form and your mental.

• Yes its not natural nor intended by nature and really having sex with your same gender serves no purpose and your genetics will just die off, if the whole human race was gay it would be destroyed.
    However i don't discriminate nor hate gay people i just think yes it must be psychological deformity of some kind but only from a scientific perspective. Of course they deserve to live a happy fulfilling life and find love.

• That's why the whole human race isn't gay. Not everybody has to be the same. Nature is about having different versions of the same species and you have no proof to suggest same sex serves no purpose.

• all species have one goal in common, reproduction, like a male black widow getting eaten by the female he wanted to breed above anything. But anyway we can agree to disagree id rather save myself the headache than trying to go at it here with you.

• Homosexuality isn't but gender dysphoria is.

www.dsm5.org/.../...20dysphoria%20fact%20sheet.pdf

• Homosexuality no, transgenderality yes

• I don't think it's a disorder exactly, just a difference in nature. Like a four leafed clover, it isn't how it was "supposed" to sprout but everything every single living thing, animal or plant has things that go against the rule.

The reason I think this is because all animals are supposed to naturally want to reproduce, and you need the opposite sex for that. They say some things on a woman that men find sexy, like wider hips are all about reproduction and naturally wanting something that will be good to reproduce with. There's even gay animals though, so it's not just humans who have it.

So yea, i think it's kinda like the four leaf clover. It's nature, it's just how they started, but it isn't the textbook rule of how it was supposed to grow with three leaves or reproducing with the opposite sex.
    This is also why I think they were born gay and that's it. Like you can't make the four leaf clover regrow with three leaves and you can't make an animal/human regrow into liking the opposite sex.

• Kind of a loaded question. Sexuality is way over emphasized & most get over stimulated during puberty & unfortunately before then even when they still have emotional developement to tend to first which is usually way too far overlooked & mostly abused before even recognized. What do i know though. Many of those sets of our culture seem more stable all around compared to the vast majority either straight or simply curious or as i say unloved properly with their opposing sex interactions.

• I believe they might be, but I do not have a firm opinion on this.

• Not at all.