Good First Car?

My parents are buying my first car as long as it's within a price range. Instead of getting a crappy first-hand ca, I've chosen a few second hand models. Deciding between a 2003 Jeep Rubicon, 2003 Pink BMW Z4 Convertible, 2011 Chevrolet Camaro, 2006 Dodge Charger or 2--6 Mini Cooper Convertible. Pros and cons? They're all within the 10,000-20,000 range. Also, anyone know mileage for fuel of each? Thanks :)

If there's anything else y'all recommend, please keep it in the $10000-20000 range whether it's that price first or secondhand. Also, my family really only buys American made cars so Toyotas and hondas aren't really options :P

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends how much money you have. Buying a car is so much more than simply being able to take the car home. You have to put gas in the car, maintain it, pay insurance (which can be godawful on a driver your age, even with a clean record) and other miscellaneous fees.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'd wait on getting a flashy car until you are older and have enough money to truly enjoy it (unless of course, you already come from money). That's what I should have done. I got a '00 Mustang GT as my first car, and sure, it was fun. I still love Mustangs. But it just wasn't the right time in my life for a car like that. I am not rich, and while I was able to afford the car at the time, all the other things overwhelmed me. The gas was bad. It was a good running car without a lot of mechanical problems, but whenever I did have to repair it, it was expensive. And the insurance was the worst of all, even though I only had 2 traffic tickets in my nearly 10 years of driving (all in my first, least experienced year).

The other thing is, your first car is probably going to get beat up a bit. You don't want to spend a lot of money on something nice just to see it get ruined. If your area has a winter like mine does, the road salt will cause the underside of the car to rust. It's better to just get a fuel-efficient car that you won't care about as much, and wait for a fun car until you can have a winter beater as well.

So, if it was me, I'd have waited until I was older and could comfortably afford a nice car, and have enough money that buying gas, maintenance, insurance, and fees isn't taking all the fun out of having a flashy car. Then with all the extra money that I wouldn't have spent on gas etc., I'd have gotten other stuff I wanted, gone on vacations, taken lessons in things I like, done more living. And maybe by now I'd have been able to buy a newer, more powerful higher-level Mustang.

It is fun to have a flashy car when you're young. But if you wait, as corny as it sounds it will be here before you know it.

• PS - I second the guy saying you should buy a Honda Civic. Anything with good gas mileage and also easy on insurance and repairs.

• I agree, but my entire family is purely American muscle made cars. That's why my option is limited, my dad (who's paying) completely hates japanese/asian cars. If there's anythig American that's a good choice, do tell! Thanks though :)

• Believe me, I'm a big muscle car fan too. That's my favorite car type. Someday I'd love to have some sort of Shelby GT350, GT500 or Mustang SVT Cobra. But only when I have a daily driver so my fun car won't get ruined by salt and I can shrug off the costs of owning one, and still have a life!

Anyway. How about a Ford Focus, or a Fiesta? They probably get decent mileage, and you could probably get a recent model easily for $10-$20K. Maybe even new. I don't know for sure. Who knows, your daily driver might even last all the way until you're ready to have a fun car too.

What Guys Said 8

• a cheap car in my opinion :)

• the only thing that really matters for your first car is that its cheap and it works. when you learn to drive you can invest in something better.

having your license doesn't mean you can drive, it merely means you are allowed to drive

• Yes I know, but I want to get a car that will last a few years at least while I start careers and such. I'm a pretty good driver, but this is solely based on the quality of the aformentioned cars :)

• 5 years from now you will disagree with that statement :P

i really can't help you choose, i know nothing about cars, sorry.

• None of the above. Save yourself the headache and get a Toyota - any toyota. Especially since it's a first car.

• Haha my dad does not like Asian cars. American muscle completely. That's why my options are limited /P

• Honda Accord or Civic

• Honda civic is what you want.

• Yes, but the point of a first car is not something you will have to fix but something you can find reliable. Also bmws are money hogs on repairs.

• Also the years on those cars make them potential for issues in the next couple of years.

• I think minicoper is more gas efficient

• anything that would not be the end of the world if u crashed

• Honda Civic/Accord is your best bet

What Girls Said 2

• you're so lucky your parents are buying you a car
    and in my opinion, those are all probably cars you really love aesthetically. Get something more sturdy and reliable like a Toyota. Really good and safe cars also include the Subaru Forester and Subaru Outback.
    Also, steer FAR AWAY from Jeeps. they get bad gas mileage.
    Honestly I'd recommend staying practical.
    Good luck and congrats on your first car!

• Those sound like nice cars.