When should I buy my college textbooks?

College is about to start in two weeks, and I'm starting to wonder when I should buy my college textbooks. I will be receiving a check containing whatever left of my finical aid ($300 more or less). I plan on using the money to help pay for books. However, I found out I won't receive the money until the semester starts. I also don't want to waste money on books and find out later my professors have different preferences, or don't even bother using textbooks in their curriculum. At the same same, I don't want to show up on the first day of class and make an *** out of myself because I didn't buy books.

Advice would be great guys! To be honest, I would prefer waiting till the first day to figure what my professors want.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't buy my textbooks until after my first day of class, so I would know for sure which textbook the professor wanted. Once I'm sure of the textbook, I'll usually purchase it online and it'll be at my doorstep by the following week.

If I was you, before you buy the textbook at the college , which are ungodly expensive, try looking for the textbooks on online sites like Amazon, and the other online retailers firsts, because sometimes my school would charge me $170+ dollars for a brand new textbook, while Amazon has the same textbook for $60-$80. So yeah, definitely explore your options before you give the school your money for textbooks.

Also, another word of advice, don't be afraid to purchase a used textbooks or rent one. The price difference between a new textbook and a used one is fairly large and that difference is larger if you're able to simply rent the textbook for a semester.

What Guys Said 4

• when u have all da money requiered?

• Wow... How not useful..😑

• I never bought books until after the first class. I would ask my professors if I could use an older edition and if the book was really needed for the class. More often than not the book showing as required wasn't. They allowed use of the earlier edition or didn't need the book at all. I always bought my books from amazon. If you do an internet search most the time you can find the PDF of the book you need for free.

• Buy the books on Half. com, Amazon if you can.

My idea is to go look up your course listings, then go to the bookstore, then write down which edition and which book it is, go home and on Amazon and have it delivered to your address. This should save you hundreds.

• For instance:

You know you want to take IDS -159 with Professor Berry.

So go to the bookstore and see which edition they are selling for IDS - 159 (Berry).

Write down the information.

Go to your computer and look it up via Amazon or EBay or Half. com.

• Here you go
    Slugbooks. com

What Girls Said 2

• I usually have my books sent to me a week after the semester has started.
    If you study hard and take good notes you won't be behind.

• amazon has them.