From an evolutionary standpoint, why do healing wounds itch?

It makes no sense, scratching it isn't exactly helping the healing process.

Most Helpful Girl

• Once the wound has healed, the outer scab is supposed to be discarded but I too have always wondered why it was itchy right away. Maybe it's that way so we can tell that it's healing?

• The scab will just fall off by itself though, eventually, right?

There are a hundred feelings it could've been instead. Why does it have to be itch? Nature is so cruel sometimes haha

• And thank you for a fun conversation :)

• Vicks vapor rub takes itch away and yw:)

What Girls Said 2

• Well I know when a cut of mine starts to heal that scab drys out the healing area, and when I have dry skin it itches. I have found that adding moisture helps calm the itching so that is what I do. The scab seems to have to dry out so that it can fall off so that the healed area can regenerate new skin
    At least that is my experience :-)

• The skin is new and is a little stretched and tight, it makes it pull and itch. It's growing across the gap where the wound has left no skin.

• Yes that is physcally why it itches. But why is it like that in the first place?

• I'm just curious to find the underlying reason why it works like that.

You know, poop stinks with the purpose of us not trying to eat it. That's nature telling us "no, stay clear, not good for you". It would make sense that wounds could just heal without giving the bearer the constant urge to touch it.

• I don't think it's a healing process the itch itself, I get what you mean though. It's just an unfortunate side effect of the skin growing.

What Guys Said 2

• Interesting question.

My guess is that they itch in spite of the evolutionary disadvantage of itchiness.

• evolutionary? Don't think there is an evolutionary thing here. Some think it stimulates bloodflow. I don't really agree.