Why do oil rig workers earn so much money?

Does anyone know the reason? I don't know much about it. Is it because not many people want to live on oil rigs

• Yeah it's because not many people want to live on oil rigs
  • It's for some other reason (tell me)
  • Don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• It's very simple: Oil field work is dirty, dangerous, very physical, and most of it occurs in very isolated places in the world - often in countries that make Detroit look like a safe place for a family holiday.

People are maimed, burned, and killed on oil rigs on a not-so-rare basis. You are working with heavy equipment all the time, and a small mistake can have big consequences. And being that it's very physical work, you are often exhausted to the point of not wanting to do anything but rest once your shift is over.

You will have to work weeks or months at a time away from your families and friends, often in bad or extreme weather conditions (desert, ocean, arctic), and again, you might be in the Middle East, South America (lots of political instability in Venezuela and Brazil, where the oil is), Siberia, etc. Oil workers in foreign countries are targets for kidnappings and corruption.

There's a reason that relatively unskilled, uneducated laborers make so much money doing this job: it requires that much money to get people to DO the job and do it well enough and safe enough to make the industry work. If it wasn't so hard and dangerous, the pay would be lower to reflect that.

What Girls Said 2

• "Starting salary. £12,000 + per year" according to nationalcareersservice. direct. gov. uk

I mean that's more than I get but... I wouldn't call that 'so much' personally?

• Because no one wants to be there!

What Guys Said 5

• They make great money why? because it's a SHITTY JOB lol they work 14+ hour shifts and have their hands and are knee-deep in shit. literally. and live in the middle of nowhere sometimes.

I knew a couple guys that would go to middle of nowhere Northern Nevada to work on a rig. Someone they knew lost a couple fingers too by the way. Lol I'm telling you it's not a fun job!!

• they do a dirty job... literally

• It's because oil is big business, not because of the work. Your pay is often determined by your industry of choice, rather than work, experience or education. As a computer programmer with an Associates, I make the same amount of money as an RN with a Bachelor's Degree. It's all about industry.

• http://oi57.tinypic.com/33msnbc.jpg Yeah it's because not many people want to live on oil rigs

• It's dangerous, also isolating.