"Religion doesn't reflect the word of God. Religion reflects the true nature of the believer." Would you say this statement is true?

As I've grown up, and done my fair share of soul searching and spiritual development, I've talked to many types of people from dfferent walks of life and different religions, from common streeet walkers, to holy men (monk, priests and pastors). Some I've learned a great deal from their compassion and understanding, others, you would swear that they were the devil himself.

But if there's one thing I've learned in all of my spiritual journey, it's that the one, and only ONE thing that ALL of these people had in common, was that they were all different. Literally, every single one of them. They all had a different approach on how they wished to view their religion. Christian to Buddhist, Buddhist to Muslim, Christian to Christian, Buddhist to Buddhist, Muslim to Muslim. All of them, different.

So it made me realize something. Just the same how one Christian may spout the word of hatred and fear of God, another Christian just a few blocks down will just as quickly spout that the word of God is supposed to be about love and compassion.

How can two people misconstrue the word of God so terribly? Have they twisted the holy word to have it suit THEM, and not what GOD (or Buddha, etc) originally intended? Do... ALL people do this to their beliefs? Muslim? Buddhist? Catholic? Christian?

So as I kept going through life, I kind of started to see Religion not so much as the word of God, but kind of like, the ultimate mirror. A reflection of the believer, and not God. If the person has hatred in their heart, they will see hateful words, if they have compassion in their heart, they will see compassionate words. Their God, for all intents and purposes, is surprisingly irrelevant.

What are your thoughts on this philosophy? Any truth to this?

Most Helpful Guy

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A38npnm15Ac

Video of a pastor talking about punching a kid in the chest.

The pastor, as with many religious folks, clearly confuse God with themselves (because God resides in their ego). You can hear it in the pastor's sermon, "He was trying to push my buttons and not taking the Lord serious" (pushing my buttons and not taking me seriously) "When are you going to stop playing games with God?" (You pushed my buttons, but see how I can overpower you? When are you going to stop playing games with me?). The pastor laments that the kid was "too smart". He couldn't defeat the kid intellectually, so he did so physically... and then brags about it. Rotten.
    ^One of the comments from the video I liked.

It's ALL about egoism. This guy is clearly one of the aggressive fear mongering Christians and not the Jesus loves everyone Christians so I don't want to lump everyone into the same group.

• The pastor says he apologized but, something tells me somewhere in his head, he still believes in what he did. I could be wrong but, good money says that if you're willing to go up in public and declare something like that with THAT much conviction, you're probably not really sorry.

• Very true.. I guess the whole point in what I was trying to say is that religious beliefs are very tied in with our egos. This can be used to reinforce someone's personal beliefs with their religion.

What Girls Said 5

• Religion is a man-made set of beliefs that tells people to follow certain rules. And people choose to do that. So I disagree.

That ideology can most certainly be twisted to benefit people when they want. Or they can make up new ones, but I don't think it's a reflection of that person.

Their character (actions, words, and beliefs at times) reflects the type of person they are. Not an ideology.

Some people may be wholly ignorant and fall into an ideology.

• Okay, this is where things get a little dicey. I used to believe people chose to follow religion, but as I walked around and studied people more, I came to a horrible truth. Most people? They DON'T actually choose to follow their religion, they just THINK they do.

Let me explain. Have you ever talked to someone, someone SO passionate about their religion, that they NEVER bothered to question it? Literally, they spout their beliefs like a pre-recorded machine, and the thought of questioning their religion has NEVER occurred to them? These types of people, I've realized, have been indoctrinated at such a young age, they were unconsciously never given a choice to pick any other religion.

So it got me thinking, how can a person SAY they've CHOSEN their religion, if they were never TAUGHT that there was a choice to begin with?

Sorry if that sounded convoluted.

• I can't say "most" people don't/do. That's bias and I don't have enough information from more than 1/2 of the world to make that statement.

Even if they followed at a young age, they made the subconscious choice to keep following and never question. They make this choice overtly when they choose to go to meetings, gatherings, Church services or anything else related to that religion based off of their beliefs. This is my opinion.

• You're right, I should have worded that better. When I say most, I don't really mean that for the whole world (obviously since I haven't talked to like, a gajillion people :P), but I mean that for most of the people I spoke to.

• What you said about Christians is true sometimes. Christianity is more about your relationship with God. I don't know why some do that but it's wrong. I wouldn't walk around telling someone that they are going to hell or that God doesn't love them because God loves everyone but who knows if they are going to hell or not. I am a Christian and I believe that some people that claim to be Christians don't fully understand what the Bible is actually saying.

• I agree everyone interprets the holy scripts differently that's why as a Muslim we believe that on the day of judgement God will decide whether you have been a bad or a good person.

• I. e whether your interpretations and the way you chose to live your life is right or not. Muslims also believe in having good intentions so if your intentions are good only God will know about this.

• Yes, very true.

• I wholly agree. A cruel punishing fear mongering god/deity over the slightest things reflects a person who fears in life. Faith in a loving god that forgives all reflects a person that loves all but judges none but herself/himself. There is a deep contrast between those two examples, I have just described.

What Guys Said 11

• i think that is an accurate statement. considering that we can't confirm that any of our "prophets" actually spoke with 'god' the choice to believe in the word of 'god' is a choice to believe in something that gives you guidance in life or affirms your life choices.

• Id say it reflects the believer's "interpretation" of the word of god.

It's just like a song, poem, or any other creative work. There's the meaning/message intended by the creator then there's what the individual sees. 100 people listen to a song and each one of them could feel something a little different from it and technically you can't say any of them are wrong about what the song means to them :/

• You bring forth an excellent question to meditate on. I think you're on to something.

"So as I kept going through life, I kind of started to see Religion not so much as the word of God, but kind of like, the ultimate mirror. A reflection of the believer, and not God. If the person has hatred in their heart, they will see hateful words, if they have compassion in their heart, they will see compassionate words. Their God, for all intents and purposes, is surprisingly irrelevant."

That also seems to be true from my experience.

• People tend to just pick out parts of the religion that they like, then claim to be "followers of that religion" so that they would have a sense of belonging. I don't really understand why anyone does that, considering I am irreligious and wouldn't ever want to change that.

• Everybody interprets things through their own experiences and understanding. With in Christianity there is something called tradition that is suppose to help guide us. But not every one agrees even with in that tradition. The idea is to find the over lapping concepts.

• 100% percent true. That's why was nonreligious long before I finally became a nonbeliever.

• would replace believer with the word person.

Then yes.

• Just reading your comments guys.

• I would say thats true but i dont believe in any of that crap lol

• Me neither, but I believe it's healthy to study other religions before deciding not to believe any of them. Education and healthy understanding is always a good thing. But I'm weird :\

• your right. not about the wird thing though

• Most people create "God" in their own image or belief system. That's why there are so many religions. It's also human beings who claim to be speaking on behalf of "God" or know the "true" teachings and intent of "God." They usually get it from some book or what they hear. I think that this can make religions extremely dangerous... especially for the non-believers...