Do you think religious people are oppressive?

Oppression is a harsh word, right?

I don't think denying gay marriage is oppression

And I also don't think being pro-life is oppression, I think it's a moral issue.

I know there are distinctions between religions, but I'm mainly talking about Christianity.

I also don't think happening to have the majority opinion is oppressive either.

Oppression:

Prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control.
Dictionary example: a region shattered by oppression and killing.

You could also say denying teachers to fuck their students is oppressive.

Just saying.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've had two people on here argue with me at length and in full seriousness that I'm some kind of bigot practicing "passive oppression" for not being sexually attracted to transsexuals.

You want to look at "oppression," look at what's happening right now overseas. Gay men tossed off a building in front of a baying crowd which then pelts the corpses with rocks. Yezidi women and girls, their male family members having been murdered in front of them, stripped naked and sold on the open market from one filthy rapist to another. Armed men going door to door, demanding any unmarried female relatives as "jihad brides." There is nothing in western society which even comes close.

What Girls Said 4

• Anytime you tell someone else they can't do something (not harmful) because of your own beliefs you are being oppressive.

• How wild we be oppressive? Everyone can have their own beliefs and is allowed to voice their opinion but when we do it we are close minded, oppressive, "shoving our beliefs down other throats, bigots, and many other names. If

• It's a moral issue.. that leads oppression as the side effect.

• But there are also women who are pro-life, so you are saying its only oppressive to some women.

• It's oppressing those who don't agree. The students law is protect underage people or the reputation of the school

• Only if they're trying to force their religion on others. If someone's religion forbids homosexuality then fine, they shouldn't have homosexual relationships. If their religion says they can't have an abortion, then they shouldn't have an abortion. But saying 'other people can't have abortions or gay marriages because of my religion' is like saying 'No-one else can have any cake because I'm on a diet'.

What Guys Said 13

• I think some people are oppressive, and some people aren't. I do think some people use religion to be oppressive but I don't think the religion itself is to blame, or all religious people.

I support gay marriage, even though I'm a Christian. It's not MY right to judge, so by opposing gay marriage, it's actually AGAINST my religion. I agree, being pro-life isn't oppressive, no baby deserves to die. I used to work with an atheist who was pro-life and he agreed with me on baby deaths. That has nothing to do with religion at all.

I know many oppressive people and I don't think religion is the common denominator here.

• It's not oppressive if you just don't want gay marriage for yourself according to your own beliefs but if you say that EVERYONE in a given society can't because it goes against your beliefs it's oppression. Just like someone else said its like you saying "I don't want you all to eat because I'm on a diet" Which is an asshole thing to do.

• I hold religious opinions regarding those issues. I don't force views on others. I just feel I'm agreeing with God.

On matters of conscience I don't feel government should have a voice (law). Let the religious institution do it's work and let each individual decide for themselves.

• I agree, I think women should have the right to do what they want with their bodies, although I do believe they're ending a life.

• not all religious people are oppressive... just like not all NON-religious types are not oppressive.

• Some people are if they are rather fanatical about it, they can gain a type of tunnel vision about their belief system.

In my experience its generally small amounts of people that come across as being that hard core about their faith, so they are not all bad : )

• some zealots r

• I'm a Christian who is laid back. I get along with atheists, gays and other Christians just fine. Differences in views starts many wars so I won't force my beliefs on others. I'm here to make peace , and unite people. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.-Matthew 5:9

• Religious people think they are being oppressed by being denied the right to oppress others.

• YES. because there is no legitimate reason for you to oppose gay people getting married except that you want them to liv by your faith.

• Yeah those heterosexual people are over-populating the earth and causing pollution...

• Oppressive?
    They want the whole world to live according to their standards, but don't respect these standards themselves

• 39. Having sex with a man “as one does with a woman” (18:22) on a list of things forbidden in levitcus

• But then so is. Eating an animal which doesn’t both chew cud and has a divided hoof (cf: camel, rabbit, pig) (11:4-7)

• Having sex with a woman and also having sex with her daughter or granddaughter (bad news for Alan Clark)

• No
    //////////////