Why do people hate communism so much?

When people use the term "commie" in a degrading manner, I don't understand because to me the difnition of communism a society in which all property is owned by the community and a head of state or something.
sorry if my defnitions are rusty, i'm still learning about this stuff.
it's similar to an anarcchist society (which to me is an ideal society) so i don't understand why communism is such a bad thing. maybe its just American propoganda?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its because people are used to be rich and entitled and can't fathom the thought of being equal to the poor in society - the farmers, the labourers, the construction workers - they have been rich their entire lives and cannot imagine living a poor life.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is indeed American propaganda. Americans generally have an intense hate of communism, mostly completely unfounded. This has a lot of historical reasons (cold war and all that). Basically, communism still gets wrongfully put on the same level as "totalitarian" in the United States. When Americans think of communism, they think of the Soviet Union, of North Korea and these kind of countries. Of course, this is complete rubbish. I consider myself a communist/socialist and I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for these nations. What Stalin did in the Soviet Union has very little to do with actual communism (good old Karl Marx would have most likely hated Stalin and all those other "communist" idiots). The problem with communism is that nobody can give you a REAL definition of what it is. When you hear things about it in America, it's mostly stuff that the Republican party or Fox news spread to scare people. The truth is, that Karl Marx himself wrote very, very little about communism. When you read the "Communist Manifesto" (which I did), you will find out that 95% of what Karl Marx talks about is actually - believe it or not - capitalism. Why so, you ask? Karl Marx saw himself as an economist and a philosopher. His job was not so much to explain how exactly to build a new system, he mostly wanted to criticise capitalism. People (and especially Americans) love to say stuff like "Communism just doesn't work". The truth is: capitalism works even less. If you look at America, you can see at every corner how capitalism has failed to work. It creates extremely unequal societies. These social inequalities then lead to a huge number of further problems, from crime, to unemployment, to social conflicts, to teenage pregnancies and a reduced life span. If you at the world as a whole, you will see that ironically, it is not Americas who are doing the best but people in "socialist" countries such as Sweden or Norway. These people are being voted the happiest in the world, year after year. Karl Marx saw these problems capitalism creates and he wanted to show them to the world. He believed a new system was not just necessary, but in fact the only option. He did however, not say very much about that system. I do agree with you that left-wing anarchism has quiet a lot in common with communism. I believe both systems have their advantages and a mix would probably be the best. The main pillars of both ideas are social cohesion, material humility, equality and freedom.

• Thank you very much for your answer.
      You taught me quite a lot about communism and capitalism in this opinion and your comments.
      Have an MHO award :)

• Actually the Scandanavian countries are not socialist. They actually tend to score higher on the economic freedom index than the US does.

What Girls Said 3

• I can understand some positives and negatives of communism, and don't really absolutely hate it (I'm from America). But, the one thing that would bother me about communism is that basically, it's saying that no matter how hard an individual person works, the amount of money/food/comfort he will get is essentially the same as a person who works a lot less than him. In America, the whole ideal is that you get what you work for - if you work a lot, you get a lot in return; the less effort you put in, the less you get. So basically, to me, communism is scary because no matter how hard I worked, what I would be given in return is the same as everyone around me - even those who worked much less. Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure if my understanding of communism is correct (if it's not, please ignore everything I said) -- but so far, nobody has corrected me.

• I do agree with you about how having rich and poor people motivates people to work harder but in places like America (capitalism) the inequalities are extreme so I think America is a bad example to use when comparing which of the two (capitalism and communism) is worst.
      I'm not sure where I stand on wealth distribution, it's a really tricky subject. I think a society where the inequality gap is small, is ideal. America isn't that society.

• 1. Because of history with Russia (cold war etc). Russia -> communism. That's also why lots of villains in movies have a russian accent.
    But communism is not a realistic ideal. Why would a doctor be a doctor if he gets payed just as much as a janitor? Inequalities motivates people to do better. Ofcourse till a certain extent ofcourse.

• Why wouldn't a doctor be a janitor? Very simple: Because he likes being a doctor and because he is good at it. This idea that you should always aim for the jobs with highest salary wasn't born in the void - it is capitalist propaganda par éxéllance. And many people disagree with this materialistic world view. See, in the country I come from, I have a top-notch education, something like going to an Ivy League college in the US. I could have easily studied something like economics or banking or even law and probably become a very rich man. But that's not what I want. It's not what interests me. I love history and I love languages. That's why I did a double major history and English linguistics and literature. I will probably become a teacher. It's not something that will make me rich, but something that will make me happy. Plus, communism is all about the idea "from each according to his ability to each according to his need". I am great at teaching. Why would I try to lead a bank?

• @BlueCoyote I have no idea how it's going on in the USA. I live in the Netherlands and since this year studying after highschool is not free anymore. Normally you got subside from the government, but they want to replace it with the loaning system. After your university study, you got a debt for about €47000 and you've got 35 years to pay it back. Now lots of students actually leave the Netherlands to study somewhere else. Luckily, for my parents it's not a real problem, because I'm from a wealthy family, but students who are not just don't even want to study anymore. Pretty sad...

• See, that's exactly what I mean. It's capitalism in action. It creates social inequality. People don't want to study anymore, which is very understandable under these conditions. But then, what are you going to do if you don't study? Exactly, struggle again. And the more a society falls apart because of these things, the less the two groups can understand each other. You seem to be an empathic person but not all people are like that. Social inequality quickly leads to stigmatizing and prejudices. And those again can lead to social unrest or to right wing parties like Geert Wilders (or all those other ones in European countries) putting the blame on foreigners, when really, it should be blamed on those people who profit from this system. It's a shame that the Netherlands adopted this bad American influence. I have an aunt from the Netherlands and I've always loved the Netherlands as a very social country with people who cherish stuff like fairness, solidarity and great personal freedom.

• Because there's no freedom and it's too constricting

• What about capitalism?
      It's not like you get people going "you cappy scum!"

What Guys Said 10

• The interpretation of the word commie is derived from the totalarian regimes of the Soviet Union and China which are corruptions of the idealist communism.

• Hmmm okay.
      Thanks for helping :)

• communism is a great theory but unfortunately human nature makes it unworkable in the sense we cannot all have equality of resources and wealth, some rob, some gamble, some save etc.. and some have to suppress those left which is the very reason it doesn't work

• Yeah, very good point.

• It is literally impossible for communism to survive without the government imprisoning dissenters and making great restrictions to free speech. It is no surprise that some sixty million people have died in Russia and China from communism. Countries like Cuba are on the low end, with only about a hundred thousand deaths.

Also, all business is future-oriented. Businesses must have the possibility of profit on the horizon in order to take risks and drive down their prices. It's basic economics. The whole community grows as individual businesses grow; in the long run, everyone benefits, because the best technology and the lowest prices become commonplace. The rich get richer, and the poor get richer. This isn't possible at all in a communist state. There is no motivation to expand business and drive down prices

The most accessible book on how socialism/communism fail is The Road to Serfdom.

• I see you are basically referring to the infamous trickle-down theory. Unfortunately, this is a great example of capitalist propaganda that rich people like to use to make poor people feel good and not start to rebel. The truth is: it doesn't work. You claim that the poor get to profit from the progress of the rich. Fair enough. Let's look at this globally. There are about 1,5 billion people in the world (that's about 20% of humanity) who have to live with less than one dollar a day. Every three seconds, a child under the age of 10 dies due to starvation. Where is these people's fair share of the cake? All they get is the waste, the pollution and the social problems that the first world has outsourced. Ever wondered why your clothes are so cheap? Because they are made by little, Chinese children who live in cities that look like 1850s-London. If the poor get to profit too, how come America, the most capitalist country in the world is also one of the most unequal? Ever been to a ghetto?

• @BlueCoyote What the hell are you talking about? The poor in countries where markets are relatively uninhibited by the government live much, much better lives than they did a century ago. Capitalism has caused the middle class to come into existence. There is evidence of that in every first world country. Holy hell, the "first world" exists because of capitalism.

You can't use the argument that capitalism somehow doesn't help people because "it doesn't help everyone at the same rate everywhere."

The banker pays the carpenter. The carpenter pays the shoemaker. The shoemaker pays the trash collector. Nobody holds onto money in a safe. Money continuously passes onto and employs other people. Liquid value is traded for asset/personal/practical value. There is no one here who lacks the basic intelligence needed to understand so-called "trickle down" economics.

If you refuse to believe it, you are trying to remain ignorant, because confronting facts will endanger your belief system.

• Most millennials who were born after the Cold War ended never lived to experience what a terrible atrocity communism really is, generally seem to be a lot more welcoming of it. It's quite worrisome. I suggest speaking to an Eastern European who lived through the cold war to find out why.

• It's simple... the tragedy of the commons. When something is everyone's responsibility, or everyone owns it, it goes to rot.

If you recall, Jamestown tried to do the same thing, a communal storehouse. The few that were willing to work quickly tired of the many who were happy to eat their work, and then a lot of people starved.

• Commies want to get out of their own countries. Look at cuba, USSR in the past they all went un der cause the power is always abused, same as america but we got some freedome at least to buy the foods, cars and have the jobs we like. Comunismn doesn't have that

• We hate it because of the cold war. Also communism in application never works. It also removes any incentives to try to further yourself.

• Because it's a joke, and people hate bad jokes.

• Same reason they hate feminism. The definition says one thing but the practice of it is stark opposite of what they preach

• I don't hate it..