Tips for writing a grocery list?

My sister has put me in charge of making a grocery list. Her only two requirements are that it's a cheap list, and the food is healthy. I don't think she realizes cheap and healthy don't exactly... go.. hand in hand. And by cheap I mean the absolute MOST she'll want to spend is $180.00 MAYBE. That's probably even a stretch. This list has to last us a minimum of 2 weeks.

Any tips or tricks or healthy meal ideas that are cheap?

Most Helpful Girl

• - mixed vegetables from wal-mart (costs $2.50 - $5.00) and lasts a week or more
    - edamame - almost a complete protein and around $5.00
    - chicken drumsticks $8.00 - cook them
    - fish sticks - $5.00 for a 2-3 week supply
    - jumbo hot dogs - $5.00 pack containing 22 hot dogs

What Guys Said 14

• Eating healthy is not as expensive as people think it is. A lot of products are almost the same price for the organic versus the non-organic counter part. I went to the grocery store organic kiwi was cheaper than the regular kiwi. Plus I have found that organic food fills me faster than regular products.

I think $180 is plenty for 2 weeks. Just check sales before you go and base your grocery list off that. Also buy items that are flexible. Raw dough can double as pizza and calzones during a week.

• Put food on it ;D
    Just kidding
    Few things to think about:
    What are things you guys need a lot of? Buying in bulk is cheaper.
    What home cooked meals are common at your residence? Plan a menu and buy the ingredients (freezers are a wonderful thing.)
    A few relatively cheap meals are; pizza (flour, water, yeast, tomato sauce, cheese, and some toppings. There are plenty of recipes online but I can give you an easy one,) any kind of casserole, any noodle based meal, and a lot more.
    Look for sales on meat, especially ground beef because it freezes just fine and is really versatile.
    Staple meals at my house are:
    Soft tacos;
    Enchiladas,
    Spaghetti,
    King Ranch Casserole (basically corn tortilla layers with chicken/cream of chicken soup and Rotel and cheese in between);
    Stroganoff, and a few more I may think of later.
    Good luck Links!!!

• Oh yeah, healthy, well... Get healthy noodles and lean beef and strike anything with cream of chicken soup.

• You basically struck down ALL the shit I just put up man!
      Ok seriously get a bunch of ground beef on sale because it goes into SO much stuff

• I'm SORRY! lol

• Struggle noodles aka Ramen noodles.. but those aren't healthy.
    Umm.. I'm thinking a bunch of regular food with some multivitamins.
    I'd say some subway subs but those only keep ya full for like 20 minutes lol
    I guess just fruits and veggies with a bunch of non-name brand food

• Only buy what you need. What I do (a little weird maybe) is I write out what I all need. then I rewrite it all based upon where the items are in the grocery store. Lol its goes buy a lot quicker and you don't buy anything extra because you don't wander around the isles. It could be I do this because I am a man.

www.bforbel.com/.../Shopping-patterns.jpg

• Go yelp the closest Chinese super market and go there cause it's always less expensive than American.

• r there people who use a list? it's better 2 keep em on yer head no? :p

• rice is cheap, and fills you up nicely. chicken is lean meat, and by far the least expensive of all proteins. single serving sizes of the following also fit the bill:

http://greatist. com/health/44-healthy-foods-under-1 (no spaces)

body builder forums has great recipes for filling foods, such as egg pancakes (eggs are another cheap protein) that you can dial back serving sizes on

• Doing the Mathematics you only have $12.86 to spend a day, but you have to split it with your Sister so you can only use $6.43 alone. The only thing you can buy that is healthy on such a limited budget is some vegetables, fruits, and bottled water. I think that is going to be pretty hard to do as well, because you have a small budget. :(.

• How many people are you needing to feed for two weeks with this healthy food?

• Just the two of us.

• We either go to Family Fare or Meijer, they're both relatively the same price-wise. Meijer is bigger and has more sales, but Family Fare is closer. No coupons, really. We're stupidly not coupon clippers lol.

• Neither am I but we get the paper and the paper has coupons usually, well I'd go to the one that is farther away but has more sales, the chances of getting better deals would increase and you would probably end up saving more money.

• Just get the necessities first and work your way around it

• Yogurt, bananas, vegetables. They're not too expensive. Burgers anchor dogs aren't bad.

• I can only think of melons and mangos right now.

• Aak Rthomas she will help you

• Lmao what

• @rthomas43 apparently you're a lady now, with exceptional grocery list making skills.

• Was not aware people knew about my impeccable grocery lists.

• Don't do it when you're hungry!

• We don't have any food in the house so I'm... perpetually hungry. lol

• DANG!

What Girls Said 5

• I actually did this every two weeks haha. I googled the ads of the week and stuff that I liked that was on sale I'd buy a ton of, then I'd splurge on some other things.

• Shop the generic whole foods brand 365. It's cheaper

• If you have a Sprouts in your area, they sometimes have pretty good sales going on! And their food is generally pretty healthy. I <3 Sprouts. Trader Joe's is a bit more pricey, but they might also have some good sales.

I always go for the sales, if you couldn't tell haha. I don't spend $180 for two weeks, it's usually around $45-60 for one week (depending if I go shopping while hungry).

• My sister only gets paid twice a month so we have to do a two-week type thing. :/

But yeah, we definitely stick with sales.

• Oh yeah that's understandable :) Honestly I found some great food that I probably wouldn't have tried if it weren't on sale haha.

Sprouts:
      this week: Driscoll's strawberries, 1 lbs clambshell is $0.98 each
      Red mangoes are 3 for $1
      50% off various drinks
      Near East rice or couscous 2 for $3

That's just some for this week. Hopefully you can find an Albertson's, WalMart Market or something as well, they also have some like frozen veggies on sale sometimes and whatnot. :)

• Follow sales and use coupons. I'm sure there's gotta be some kind of meat on sale at one of the grocery stores near you everyday. You can do fish, lean chicken/beef, etc. Wild rice, potatoes, onions, carrots etc are all pretty cheap. Just find the type of meat you want and pick a side or two and look up recipes.

For snacks, just avoid processed foods. Maybe baby carrots, pretzels, nuts, hummus and pita, stuff like that. Frozen dinners are a no no health wise but sometimes they're necessary.

• look at the sales!