Do you think the U. S. public school system should be completely overhauled into a private school system?

With financial assistance to pay for private schools?
School choice isn't a huge issue, but it is an issue.
With the proliferation of terrible public schooling, would children and families be better served by a choice of private schools with financial assistance?

Sorry guys, my wording was bad.
I didn't mean completely phasing out public schools, but supplying funds for choice of schools.
So this is basically a vouchers question.

Most Helpful Guy

• That would be an improvement overall, but it wouldn't go far enough.

The education sector in the US and everywhere else needs to be privatized and deregulated.

The government-run schools in the US and many other countries, including my own, are atrocious. People come out of those barely literate and knowing very little. But, more importantly, government-run, or even merely government-financed, education is a violation of rights. A person has the right to refuse to spend money on things that he or she doesn't want. If you want children, (a) finance them yourselves, and (b) advocate a free market, so that you get higher quality and lower prices.

What Girls Said 6

• No, why would you put the education of your country in the hands of third party companies.

Complaining about the school system is not a bad sign. It means people care enough to want to make it better

• "in the hands of third party companies"

Implying that isn' t the case already.

• No it shouldn't. I've been in private school and homeschool and public school. I like public school better.

• No, however I believe strongly in the voucher system.

• So... No complete overhaul, but reduction of public schools and introduction of vouchers for non public schooling?

• I don't even think a huge reduction in public schools would be needed. I think it would make class sizes smaller which would be great. It would also create incentives for school to try harder to keep students if the money was tied to the student and not the school.

• Huh?
    My public school was fine.

• As was mine. However, it seems that every day we are complaining about our public school system.

• I'd rather it not.

• i dont think so.

What Guys Said 6

• There are kids that do not have the same belief and values that private schools do. Many Private schools God is important so the students have a real advantage in life, they respect their parents and are college bound. The public does not believe in God and would be disruptive to the good of being private and success bound. If you were to look at private God based schools they rank very high and the students do very well in life because God has a position in their lives.

• If public schools were grandfathered out (or at least minimalized) obviously private schools would spring up to take their place.
      It wouldn't be like, "OK no more public schools, find your own place, here's a voucher, good luck."
      This means that inevitably secular private schools would arise as well.

• You will never get rid of public schools you have too many parents who are so nasty that only someone forced to take their children will tolorate them.

• If it goes into a totally private system - You know where the money and talent will go, into the better off areas - While distressed the public education system is the best of the bad alternatives

• Where does the money and talent go now?
      Into the better off areas.

• I don't agree that the public school system is the best option. :/

• I've been going to a private school ever since I started school. I've also heard about how public school is such a joke...

Just yesterday my dad told me a girl he knows who was in 11th grade had do "place the comma in the correct area of the sentence." The sentence was, "Lacreesha said, shut up talking to me."

...

• no we need to bring private school curriculum to public schools, I never understand how private school kids do so much better than public. Do the teachers get paid more, or do they just care more or what?

• Actually, I believe that private school teachers get paid less than a lot of public school positions.
      I think a big part of private schools' success is not being beholden to federal curriculum requirements.

• Yes public schools suck

• I fail to understand how privatizing the school system solves anything.

• Teachers are hired more on a basis of quality. Schools have more control over their workforce.
      Schools are not forced to bend to federal requirements that are ridiculous for their area.

• Soooo... How does that render the issue moot?

• The answer is in the video.