GAGers, what is one thing that you pretend to like but don't really enjoy?

Most Helpful Guy

• Meeting new people.
    I should specifiy however that I'm not saying that I hate getting to know new people. In fact, I have very few friends and I wish I had a couple more. I also generally see myself as a pretty social person. I love having long talks, especially about stuff that creates good, long discussions like politics, religion, philosophy, science, literature, movies etc.. My big problem is that I all the things I love talking about or that I love doing are things that you would say/do to people who you are already very close friends with. I'm very much a close-friend person, rather than a buddy-person (I would rather have 3-5 very intimate friendships than 20-30 buddies). I am very bad at small talk and I absolutely hate doing it. All this "so what's your name? Where do you live? Oh, that's so cool! Yes, I have been there before! So, what do you work? Oh really! That sounds so interesting!" kind of crap just goes on my nerves. I am very bad liar and people who do small talk usually lie. I mean, if you meet a guy at work for example and you ask him where he's from, you don't actually give a shit. He could be from New York or L. A. - so what? But then you have to pretend that you find the place cool wherever he happens to come from. Meeting new people and doing this annoying small talk is just so much about keeping up the appearances, doing a lot of pretense-smiling, chit-chatting about trivial nonsense and acting as though you were a very interesting person. I really hate all that kind of stuff. Additionally, I happen to have very good "Menschenkenntnis" as we call it in German (the ability to quickly and easily spot what kind of person somebody is, what he/she likes, what their character is like etc.). This can be very helpful sometimes but it can also make things more difficult because sometimes I don't give new people a real chance. My intuition would just immediately tell me "nope, I can tell you right now you two will not go well together, you're too different". And once my intuition gives me these feelings, it's extremely hard to act against it.

What Guys Said 16

• Ah another tough one for quite a few I'm sure :D

When much younger, I used to pretend to like something I don't enjoy but as I matured I realized it's a futile attempt to appease someone. So I just keep it upfront about something that I don't like right from ground zero.

Problem is if you pretend to enjoy something you don't like, the other person / people are bound to continue doing it thinking you really like it and at some point of time your patience will exhaust and you'll make it not just unpleasant but also hurt those who have been genuinely trying to please you :)

• Ehhhh... complete freedom lol
    Sometimes I think life would be so much easier if there's a sort of central authority that arranges the lodging and working schedule for you so there's less uncertainly with complete freedom.

• I think one time I pretended to like Miley Cyrus just to see what it was like but it didn't work for me :P

• Well I went to a play for my friend I lied through my teeth saying that I thought it was good and awesome play but I did it for them I don't like many plays not really my thing

• Crowded bars with my friends

• Nothing... if i didn't enjoy it i wouldn't pretend

• My friends monogamous relationships

• Actually I will extend that to most people's monogamous relationships actually.

• To be fair, I've felt a bit disconnected from everything I do nowadays. I wonder what that means.

• babies.

but i couldnt eat a whole one

• GirlsAskGuys.

• This one band my dad likes...

• Going to (some f***ing boring) classes

• I do not pretend. I tell it like it is.

• Hanging out with female friends

• Cuddling or holding a woman after sex

• I pretend to respect stupid people, but actually... I don't fucking like them!

What Girls Said 11

• I am kinda sorry to admit but some relatives in the family. I don't really like them. I don't really like spending time with them. Last time they came I pretended that I was happy to see them. But I wasn't. They are like gossiping around. I don't like this habit of them.

• ... being awake.

• Being social lol.

• Talking to my boss... >.>

• My sister's food... awful...:( she cannot cook :(

• Meeting new people. It makes me nervous but I have to put on a happy face anyway lol.

• Alcohol lol

• People
    All kinds of people

• Small talk with anyone... Hate it

• the smell of peoples farts

• Leaving my house.

I get a bit excited when friends text to go out, but as I get ready I really don't want to. Even driving to the location, I would rather go back. But once I'm out and with them, that changes for a bit, we have fun but after a while I just want to go back home.