Don't worry GAG will survive. Don't you think?

A lot of long time users have left GAG lately and some people are practically in mourning. "GAG will never be the same." "Please no one else leave." Isn't this a bit dramatic?

New people will replace the old. Actually it might be a good thing, new questions, new opinions. new personalities and a different vibe.

Change isn't always a bad thing. I'm sure GAG will survive.
What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 16

• I've been here for 3 years. This has happened countless times. Some just leave or never log on again. I miss a lot of old friends. Recently, yes, many popular users have left. It's odd because normally it's just 1 or two every couple of months, not 4-5. I have some possible reasons why:
    (1.) GaG becoming mainstream. GaG used to be a yahoo answers for adults that only a small community used. Now it has branched out to thousands of new users, which means more bad apples. Many female users are getting harassing messages more often. Many people in general are making the site become a popularity contest. The site itself, while improved in many ways, has took a turn for the worst in many others. It doesn't help that the new management keeps adding superficial and clutterly features.
    (2.) Boredom. I have gotten bored of this site to the point I don't sit here for hours every day answering questions like some do. I've had enough of that since I already did it for years in the past. Now I only log in every now and then and usually only answer the popular questions, whereas in the past I used to view almost ever topic and scan through questions up to 24 hours behind to find something to answer. Some get so bored of seeing the same shit they just leave.
    (3.) Chain reaction. One popular and well liked user leaves. Well, another one was on the fence of leaving and was on good terms with that user. So they leave because now they feel the site is more empty. This can become a cycle.

• "Now it has branched out to thousands of new users, which means more bad apples. Many female users are getting harassing messages more often. Many people in general are making the site become a popularity contest. The site itself, while improved in many ways, has took a turn for the worst in many others"
      +1 for that. I agree with you. Which is why I'm not as much active as I use to be. Bored of it also

• I think it is just the concentration of departures over the last few weeks - Yes it will survive and adapt but some emotion has to be allowed.

• People are "mourning" because they're losing familiar faces, some of whom were acquaintances and friends with many long time users. The sudden and rapid exodus of many of these users is a shock to a lot of long time users. Its like losing some relationships that took time to develop.

• people wouldn't be mourning if they actually put in the work to really get to know people lol. The problem is that a lot of people here don't do much besides scratch the surface with people they are interested in learning more about. Instead, I find that people have the expectation that people will PM them if they want to chat, or people will out of the blue give them their contact details before they leave. These departures don't really affect me in the same way it does others, because i do proactively engage people who interest me on here, to the point that they willing give me a way to contact them outside of this place. So, my advice is that people let the departures be a lesson to you. If you find someone to be engaging... make the first move and engage them in a private conversation, and take things from there before the leave your life forever. But yes asker, you are correct... new users will replace old ones, and we'll probably see a change around here that is a cause for some excitement in my opinion

• "people wouldn't be mourning if they actually put in the work to really get to know people lol. The problem is that a lot of people here don't do much besides scratch the surface with people they are interested in learning more about."
      Wow! I'm not gonna lie.. I'm guilty of this. There are a lot of cool people on here and i've been meaning to make an effort to talk to other users but I don't know I clam up.. :/

• @mr90skid

when it comes to these sort of things, you've gotta be shameless. I mean, its certainly not a bad thing that you want to get more from people, learn more about them, etc. It's a real tragedy to me, to be surrounded by so many people on here, and to not know a single one of them on a slightly deeper level

• My case is pretty tragic then lol I did have some of those users who left in mind too I'm kinda shameless everywhere else except when it comes to initiating convos
      You're right again man thanks for the advice I'll keep at it :)

• Been a member off and on since '08. when I've gone awol, it's because I had a girlfriend and didn't need to bother with other people's problems lol but I'd come back after becoming single again and offer my accumulating advice based on experience. But sometimes it's because all the questions are the same. the "does she/he like me?" "Is/are my penis/boobs big enough" blah blah blah. And the amount of people who ask questions but refuse any advice while insulting people for not agreeing with their retarded views. And with each new generation, the same things happen. But alas, I still come back from time to time

• I find it silly how seriously some people take this website, like as if this was an important part of their lives or something.

• If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a brand new hello :)

• RIDICULOUS.

• There have been a lot of changes over the last several years. Users come and go but there are always awesome users joining this site on a daily basis. It's just like in real life people go and come in and out of our lives.

• I'm not sure, but I do know one thing though, bitches, they come they go, Saturday through Sunday, Monday, Monday through Sunday, yo!

• I think it's just an emotional reaction but most people learn to get over it. I know I'm a little sad but it's just a website and we all have real lives we need to attend to so it makes total sense why some of us leave.

• Yep yep yep. Cut one head off, two will replace them

• I know right? People are exaggerating.

• Who are the famous GaGers?

• This drama should be end

What Girls Said 7

• I just really hate change.

• I don't even notice who leaves.

I am just here for fun.
    It feels good to share opinions.

• Yeah its dramatic

• That's cos they have no life outside of GAG.

• Yeah, honestly I would only care if a few people left, the rest I don't really pay attention to lol

• People outgrow things, people get busy. New people come along. Some people are too dramatic for their own good...

• I just learned that @CommieDearest left. I'm pretty somber now.