My friend said "fasting in Ramadan is choice" is that true?

• Yes
    50% (4)25% (3)35% (7)Vote
  • No
    50% (4)58% (7)55% (11)Vote
  • Other
    0% (0)17% (2)10% (2)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
6|4

Most Helpful Guy

• No, if you are Muslim then fasting during Ramadan is fardh. Obviously if you have an illness where you need to take medicine or if you're pregnant you don't have to fast and can make up for it later. If you have a condition such as diabetes where you're unable to fast due to needing to take medication daily you don't have to make it up but instead pay a fidyah which is money that's paid to the poor and needy for each missed day (this is basically the amount it would cost to feed a poor person one day's meals per missed day).

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• No, it's not a choice but a requirement as a Muslim. But many choose not to just like many choose not to abstain from premarital sex even though it's required to not have sex before marriage in some religions.

1|1
    0|0
  • No idea what your talking about.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its obligation in Islam just like saying prayers you are not suppose to avoid it unless you havd strong excuse just like illness, etc.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• No it is not a choice but lots of Muslims have a hard time observing it or just don't at all. Depending on the persons particular beliefs water may not be consumed while the sun is up.

I was raised catholic so we have our same sliding scale of fasting for lent. Some only abstain from meat on Good Friday while others refuse to eat meat on any Friday .

0|0
    0|0
  • No , your friend is wrong. It's only a choice before puberty ( even though it's preferable to start learning how to fast earlier ) but if someone already passes this stage then they are obligated to fast Ramadan unless there are exceptions as Period ( for girls and they fast those days after Ramadan ) or being pregnant ( if it will harm either the baby or the future mother ) , time after giving birth where there's still blood , being ill with a disease where fasting will make the condition worse , travelling if one's health can't take it... etc. You can google about when you should / shouldn't fast in ramadan

0|1
    0|0
    • But I'd rather you not ask questions concerning religious teachings and advice here , because many people might start giving you wrong answers. Whenever you have a question you can ask a Sheikh or someone who's known to have good information about religion , someone that's trusted by many you know or it can be as easy as googling your question and checking different links or even reading books or watching tv shows... etc. Have a good day !! ;)

• No. It's a requirement. Some just choose not to.

0|0
    0|0
  • being muslim is a choice, fasting is the rule

0|0
    0|0
  • Every religion is a choice. So yes.

1|0
    1|2
  • yeah it is.

0|0
    1|0