Do these 2 Bible verses mean that non-Christians feel no pain and are conscious of nothing at all when they die O_o?

The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 9:5-6:

"For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have they any longer a reward, for their memory is forgotten.
Indeed their love, their hate and their zeal have already perished, and they will no longer have a share in all that is done under the sun."

I am asking because my Christian friends told me that I will be roasted and tormented in the eternal hell fire when I die if I don't become a Christian. But then when I look at the 2 above-mentioned verses, I got confused. How could I be tormented in hell fire if the dead do not know anything?" O_o

Thanks beforehand for your inputs : )

Most Helpful Guy

• AHA either you got bored of the pictorial depictions of 'thank you' or you did this for a change or you just were in a rush :D Whichever way it is, you are welcome beforehand ;) :D

1. Religion in any form was created post community & society couldn't reign in the ever 'thinking' humans who dared to question every law laid down
    2. Religions came into being and existed much before races managed to meet each other vide migration
    3. Christianity was formed out at a time when the very powerful Roman empire was at ti's peak & ofcourse very much opposed to the Roman lifestyle
    4. Result of that is though Greek gods are revered Roman ones aren't even mentioned because of the feud between Romans & the Brits who embraced Christianity
    5. Ofcourse Christianity has embraced and imbibed quite a bit of paganism in it's fold but modified
    6. Ironically society, religion etc were meant originally to unite humans turned out to be reasons for them turning against each other because of fixations and the religion itself becoming a power within itself
    7. The crusades resulted in Islam becoming aggressive and the same fights carries on till date in various manners
    8. Summary of the above though may seem disconnected from the question is that the religion that seeks expansion thus indulging in various forms of nepotism preaches that nothing except that particular religion holds true
    9. We humans are given to the greed of heaven & fear of hell which is well exploited by those seeking power through religion which certainly wasn't (probably) the aim of founders of the same

Touchy question and brutal answer, going anon (thank you for allowing it) cause I don't want to be plagued in my inbox lol

What Guys Said 16

• well its hard to comment without implying which is right or not because no one on Earth knows if any of this shit is actually right or not. y'all either believe or you don't.

• Most Everyone is letting their beliefs get in the way of the answer to this question, you asked a biblical question, the answer should be based on the bible, or more accurately, the Tanach. not beliefs.

There is zero mention of hell in the old testament, I dont personally know of any jews who even believe in hell, and why would they? Their scripture does not talk about it. There is Sheol, but thats more like purgatory, everyone goes their when they die Whether they are righteous or not, and they dont necessarily have conciousness while they are there. Jews also dont believe in any kind eternal punishment in the afterlife, and they dont believe only jews go to Gods kingdom.

Getting back to christianity, which this verse doesn't have much to do with christianity in the first place, but lets assume it does. There is not awhole lot of evidence for hell in the new testament either. At least not hell as we often see it depicted. there's mention of being "cast out with fire" and stuff like that, but that doesn't necessarily equate to the hell we all know today. God actually describes himself as fire in hebrews. "For our god is a consuming fire". I would not assume that God IS hell. I believe hell has been very misunderstood by christians for centuries. Jesus spoke more of things like "unless you repent, you will all likewise perish" and there are many mentions of eternal destruction. So i would say it DOES sound like an accurate and consistent belief. That is, to believe that those who accept and repent will live forever, and those who do not, will perish, and be no more.

To me it wouldn't make sense to have a purely physical punishment of hell and pain eternally, if you have no body but just a spirit.

Just commenting based on scripture, not my beliefs

• I don't believe any of that stuff.

Be a good person. That's all that really matters.

• Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 is frequently used by the Jehovah's Witnesses, an established cult.

I strongly suspect they did not read the full chapter.

• Also, I don't know who those friends are, but watchout for them. They probably dress well and seem nice, too.

• Most biblical concepts about this (Romans 6:23) are referring to the concept called "The second death" (Rev 21:8, Rev 20:14, Rev 20:6) and is definitely hell - espeically Revelations 20:14 connects the idea of hell and the 2nd death.

The accepted definition of our existence consists of body, soul (sometimes called mind), and spirit (sometimes called soul). Also sometimes called mind, body, and soul (to mean spirit). The first death is the death of your body. The second death is the loss of the soul [or spirit, depending on the terms you use]. This is referred to in Matthew 10:28. In the NKJV notice the term 'hell' is mentioned in this verse at the mention of the death of the soul; they are irrevocably bound concepts throughout the bible.

Why did God use the term 2nd death to sometimes allude to hell? That's a good question. There might be a reason. I'll have to figure that out some day. :)

• Jehovas witnesses are the worst. They rape and women are brainwashed into shutting up about it. It truly a devils work as most people will just dismiss all religions as bad. This is what islam has done and what catholics have done preventing those from even searching ou for god.

• Well first off, some versions of " for their memory is forgotten" is "for memories of them is forgotten."

No where in these 2 verses said that the unsaved feel no pain. Reading the bible you see just the opposite: All they feel in hell will be pain:

"In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out." - Luke 13:28

"... and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" - Matthew 13:42
    and so on.

But I have a question though: Why did you two talk about this? As a Christian myself, i would mention hell only when sharing the gospel. Hell being the bad news, Salvation through grace being the good news [Message me if you want more info]. Though I agree many so-called christians use hell as a means to push people into Christianity through fear. But this is NOT christianity! Christianity is a beautiful truth about love and redemption. Real christians don't use terms like "You will be roasted and tormented in the eternal hell fire when you die if you don't become a Christian." Because the only way to not go to hell is by being the truth; the truth about a God wanting to bring his children home - Attempting to make someone become christian through fear is not making them know the truth.

• How about Ezekiel 18:4 :
      “Behold, all souls are Mine;
      The soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine;
      The soul who sins shall die."

The soul dies, doesn't it? If my soul dies when I pass away, how would it be tormented? Thanks for opining : )

• Hmm.. i think "soul" refers to a being, and not the soul only? Because some versions say "For everyone belongs to me, the parent as well as the child—both alike belong to me. The one who sins is the one who will die."

• This is from the Old Testament, before heaven and hell as there is there is today, since the work of Christ. The dead used to go to a place called "Sheol," until a later point, after Christ raises all the believers from the dead and brings them to heaven.

• Aside from that, Ecclesiastes is poetry. It's like a song, and is not literal anyway. You cannot ignore the message and context of the entire Scripture which is about the need for salvation and man's need for a redeemer in order to be saved. Do some reading in the New Testament. I would suggest the book of John, if you really want to learn the Gospel and understand.

• only christian zealots support this i believe

• your friends are smoking crack. It, first of all is a Hebrew text, so you can forget the Christianity thing. But it only suggests that death is not about going someplace. It is more about the life shutting down until God has use of it again

• 0|0
    • How about Ezekiel 18:4 :
      “Behold, all souls are Mine;
      The soul who sins shall die."

• I read the last one and learned something as well. I am not a big bible reader at all but I beleive. I haven't had a chance to look at this one but here you go

www.knollwoodchurch.org/yr2003/g05_ought.html

• That last one has a lot of references. They have a bible for dummies, I haven't read it though. The internet has a lot of good resources so just google the meaning up.

• I wpuld have to red before and after to know the context. The not sure if it's talking about spiritually dead people (unsaved non beleivers) or physically dead

• Also why ask on gag where there's mainly kids and people with no lives on here who doesn't knwo anything? Opening urself to insults and ignorance

• Just ignore them

• No they don't!

• Well, your friend's believe in a book of fairy tales, so who cares what they have to say.

• you got it all wrong. those that are spiritually blind/dead, are "dead" from this life. heaven and hell begin here, now.

• all there referring to is there time here on earth you live you die whether you chose to do good or bad doesn't matter you die, there's no stopping it,
    and no if you don't go to GOD yes you will go too hell yeah it sucks but that's life
    we are born in sin so where pretty much designed for hell, and the only one who can save us is Jesus, so talk to him he will listen god bless you

• Thanks for opining. How about Ezekiel 18:4 :
      “Behold, all souls are Mine;
      The soul who sins shall die."

If my soul dies when I pass away, how would it be tormented? O_o

• you gotta read the bible there's a physical death and a spiritual death everyone experiences the physical death, what you don't want is the spiritual death that's separation from GOD, when you a person is separated from GOD its not good, also what he's stating is that everyone's life belongs to him no matter what anyone says, so basically you're his property if you read the bible the devil is defeated but he's not dead

• Those verses mean you should find new friends.

What Girls Said 3

• I dont believe blindly inw hat religion taught so the same for the above. Be a good person

• I think your friends are taking their religion to the extreme.

• thats weird...