'Psychology is not a real science'. Agree or disagree?

• Agree
  • Disagree
Please elaborate on why you voted for either :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoops, I voted the wrong one, but I disagree.
    SOMEONE needs to study human behavior, the way memory works, perception, how things that happen in life influences us both on a personal and on a physical level.

SOMEONE needs to do it, otherwise we'll have a dysfunctional society like we have now. Where people don't get the time to sleep enough and feel rested thus contributing to earlier decay of brain cells, one in which people think it's okay to mutilate and abuse your children just because parents don't see them as people yet then wonder why their children act "bad" in school. People need to learn how people work, and that is what psychology is for.

What Guys Said 35

• Disagree, the social sciences just dont get the same respect from "traditional" sciences (Sheldon Cooper anyone?). But they are real sciences and they have helped and continue to help countless people, everyday, as well as helping humanity understand itself.

• Psychology is most definitely a Science. Science is essentially finding the truth/facts of the world by using observation, experiments, theories and etc, which is exactly what Psychology does, however their studies is more focused on the social world.

• Of course it's a science. People who say otherwise don't know much about either psychology or science.

• Of course it's a real science. I think the main problem people have with psychology is its reliability because many theories try to scientify people and social experiences.

People feel they are in a position to argue against psychological theories rather as compared to physics or chemistry.

I think now, psychology is still in its 'premature' stages and thus, naturally psychology will be perceived this way. I really feel that we need to hear what professionals in the field think because maybe there's a lot precision with the actual definition is missing.

• The definition of science can about the method of gathering info or the info itself. But the method is defined as "a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe" (posted in Widipedia) Here universe does not mean the stars etc., but everything around us. Psychology does form testable explanations and predictions. These are tested and observed, then corrected when needed. So it fits the definition of science.

Modern thinking has modified the meaning a little, and is often limited to branches of study that seek to explain the phenomena of the material universe. And the workings of the brain are not seen as part of the material universe.

So it is easy to see where the difference of opinion lays. Some people consider anything that can be observed and tested, others only consider the observations of material things and not thought processes.

• I would say that it is, the human mind is uniquely simple and yet very complex, worth studying, understanding and maximizing it's potential.

• I disagree. Human behavior/emotions is a very complex topic. It helps a lot of people and it is something very important.

• I completely disagree with that sentiment.

Psychology is very clearly a science. Theories are formed and hypotheses are tested.

Beyond that, the human brain and it's influence on behavior is quite possibly the most fascinating thing in the universe.

• I'd like to think of psychology as more of a social science "amalagmarized" with biology.
    So is it a PURE science , probably not.
    Is it an art like philosophy , probably not.

It's an mixture of the two.

• Apparently the most disabling and tarnishing label a discipline can have, is not being a 'real science', as inferred from your question.

Some things are both 'this' and 'that', not just one or the other. Not sure why people are uncomfortable with, and disparaging towards, that... It's just a reality. Art (better) deals with the subjective perceiver. Science with matter or the objective world. The phenomenal world is still interpreted by rather frail and stupid human beings: it's sheer arrogance and lack of wisdom to discount the significance of that.

• it tests and hypothesises.

i respect it more than physics, mostly abstract shit most don't care about.

• Psychology is a science that is still in its' infancy. Little is known about the workings of the mind. In future I think this will be one of the most important and interesting branches of science.

• Psychology is more an art with scientific bases than e. g. nuclear science. But so is most of health care: humans are governed by their brains for a great part and much of the electrical and chemical secrets of the brain have still to be discovered.

• Literature is not a science, Psychology is a science. It's just a soft science. Any of the "ologies" are soft sciences...

• Biology, what a joke. Physiology, waste of time. The modern medicine that was derived from both of those, totally useless.

• A biology degree. If you pipe in and say “I have a chemistry degree, does that count?” They'll ask you, “When was the last time you did cell cultures?” You'll say “Never” (unless you were in a biology class back in college) and they'll throw out your application. If an award-winning physicist walked into a lab where they were researching how to grow a replacement heart out of stem cells and asked for a job, he or she would be turned away because they couldn't even explain what a stem cell was. The only position that physicist would be qualified for in that lab is a dishwasher. If you walked into hospital and asked to see the head of the research study developing & testing the new immunosupressant drug and asked them, 'So, what can you tell me about the structure of this molecule,' or 'How many carbon bonds does it have?' or 'At what rate and speed does a molecule of this size break down and travel through the bloodstream from the intestines to the heart?'

• The doctor running the study wouldn't be able to tell you any of that, because chemistry and physics is NOT what they're studying (nor does it matter for the purpose of the drug). They're studying life science, aka biology.

• A lot of it is BS.

• Haha what, who is downvoting this?

• Then did they start calling adhd a disease? Isn't it just a disorder? or well some other research I found says it could be a mutation lol

• It's a condition and sooner or later your mind will slow down speed up and slow down but slow down. I'm guessing at this but let me ask you do you have a creative side?

• Disagree. It's sure a science. If it weren't it wouldn't be able to heal people mentally.

• Of course ita not a real science. Ita a disgrce to a scientist to call it so. As a matter of fact when people tell me they have bs in it I laugh and so do my colleagues.

• I think it's one of the social sciences and sort of a branch off of biology but definitely not a hard science.

• I won't say it's not science, but it is a lesser science.:p

• Strongly disagree, psychological experimentation satisfies the criteria of the scientific method. Perhaps people strongly associate it with philosophy and individualism, but to be blunt, that is ignorant.

• My Philosophy teacher knew a psychologist whose main theory was that there's no such thing as psychology and that all the conditions people ramble on about are just them trying to make simple things sound more complex. That was interesting.

• So you are suggesting that people don't have typical behaviors towards certain circumstances? The human brain can react rationally just as much as irrationally/atypically when stimulated. How our heads work and how it's linked to our emotions is all science my friend, unquestionably.

• science is looking for patterns
    if psychology contain any pattern analysis I consider it a science

• I disagree.

• Gotta correct this: *Geology* isn't a real science.
    stream1.gifsoup.com/.../sheldon-paintball-o.gif

• Its considered part of the soft sciences. Obviously very different from something like physics, but it is a science nontheless.

• Sorry psychology. I've seen 14 psychologists in my life (pretty unfortunate), and all of them just sat there and said "hmmm," "okay," and "uhuh," a lot. Not one actually helped

• It uses scientifical methods, that is, an analysis as objective as possible based on the proof acquired through experimenting.
    It's a science.

• Psychology is part of the Sciences. It mingles with Sociology as a Social Science. Though I prefer Sociology over Psychology. :/.

• A soft science!

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 16

• The only thing I don't consider a real science is political science. You're fooling no one, y'all.

• Science -the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Psychology has observations and experiments... theories, proofs and studies the human mind and its functions, and affecting behaviors.

• Agreed. It's very real as a study of a lot of many scientific matters, such as brain chemistry, disorders that arise from mental conditions, and how these contribute to deviant or abnormal behaviours. It can't be termed as a 'science' in itself, however, because very rarely is there any actual material evidence to prove theories and such. It's in large part observational and stated based on patterns, versus something you can see and it will support what you say 100%.

In other words, few things in psychology are black and white. There's a lot of gray area, no definites. People working in science and related fields don't like that, I suppose.

• I think you confuse clinical psychology and psychiatry. Clinical psychology IS a sience.

• What do you mean? That's not the only aspect of psychology.

• Because I do know the difference between psychiatry and clinical psychology, and the entirety of psychology as a discipline isn't limited to just that.

• It all depends on how you define science. If you apply a narrow-minded definition of science then it might indeed be hard to call psychology a science.

• It counts as a real science in university and I'm required to take a few sciences even though I'm in a fine arts degree program, and that's all I need to know!

• Psychology is the maybe most realest science you can ever see. Just look around. Just look at yourself.
    How of then your mood change? How fragile are we? How that affect our lives?
    Science does not have to be with numbers always.
    Brain is still a mystery. A big mystery affects in every way of life.

• Psychology is social science. It's not a hard-core/quantitative science (e. g. physics, chemistry or biology) but it does use a variant of the scientific method to explain mental & social phenomena through pattern discovery.

• it's a social science, not a hard science like chemistry

• Disagree. Psychology seeks to understand the effects of physiological mechanisms that occur in the human mind.(These events happen, but why? Psychology poses the question of why people do what they do. Regular science just shows 'proof' but psychologist analyze that proof) Psychology observes the effects of physiology to understand what makes a person "think" and the reasoning behind their actions.

• It is a science, just a softer science.

• It's the study of social tendencies. It involves analyzing the way we work, and it would probably be considered a type of biology.

• I'd say science is biology, chemistry and physics, anything else is scientific but no a pure science. However there's that many hybrid courses most things have some form of scientific base. I'd more call it a social science.

• It's a real science. However, most of the studies made in that field that appear in the news are not real science, because they show too little to no statistical significance.

• Psychology is nothing but psychiatry for dummies.

• I disagree.