"Since June, Laurie Shrage has opened email after email from desperate men.
A few told of being forced to drop out of college to support a child they’d accidentally fathered, even as the children’s mothers pursued an education with help from child support payments.
One man said he believed the woman who filed a paternity suit against him secretly intended to get pregnant, to boost her lifestyle with child support payments. Some men say women told them they were on birth control, or were infertile.
And then there were men who simply regretted how that one night stand unwittingly resulted in 18 years of child support.
“These men could be exaggerating,” Ms. Shrage, professor of philosophy and women’s and gender studies at Florida International University, said in an interview with the National Post. “But under our current law, it really could happen.”
“In consenting to sex,” she writes, “Neither a man nor a woman gives consent to become a parent.” "
Do you believe men should be allowed to opt out of financial and legal responsibilty for the child?
- Yes, men should be allowed to opt out of financial and legal responsibilty for their unborn child.20% (8)34% (14)27% (22)Vote
- Men should be allowed to opt out of financial and legal responsibilty for their unborn child, but must share any costs involved in the pregnacy.10% (4)22% (9)16% (13)Vote
- No, men should not be allowed to do this. If the chid is born, they are financially responsible.63% (26)32% (13)48% (39)Vote
- Other (Please explain below).5% (2)5% (2)5% (4)Vote
- I don't know.2% (1)7% (3)4% (4)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
The only reason I feel is valid to opt out is if a woman made holes in the condom or went fishing for the condom and sperm in the trash can to insert herself with your seamen.
Otherwise you are responsible. I always use condoms even if the sexual pleasure is slightly less (women feel less to), but men always ask to do it without. I think that's insane, in many ways.
If you don't want a baby as a man, you take the responsibility in your own hands. Just like women who absolutely don't want to get pregnant take the responsibility in their own hands.1