If swimming is good for your shape.. then why are whales so fat?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 28

• They have to develop layers of fat to insulate them from the colder parts of the ocean, where they mostly feed. Human swimmers also develop fat layers if they swim in cold water all the time, no matter how much they lift weights and work out, for the same reason.

• Because whales live in the sea, and the sea is, as you might know, VERY COLD.

• Whales are adapted to live in the ocean. The ocean is cold, being in the water 24/7! Did u know the entire ocean's temperature fluctuates less than half of a Fahrenheit degree? It's chronically cold in ocean water !

Plus although whales are big and fluffy looking, their ratio of fat to muscle is very small. They are very muscular animals!

• Because unlike humans, whales spend their whole lives in the water. And it gets cold in the water, and whales have lots of blubber to help keep them warm. You've got to give me Most Helpful for this one! :)

• i already know what you told me.. i was looking for a funny answer.. :P

• Because plankton, even though it's very small, it has a huuuge amount of calories. Eating one plankton will be the equivalent as eating 5 baconators.

• Insulation and buoyancy. Fat floats and insulates the whales from the cold water. Mammals lose body heat 30 times faster in water than in air, because of the greater density and thermal conductivity of the water.

• For one whales are creatures of the sea, and prehistoric at that, the fat aka blubber is for protection as the layers and layers of skin and blubber form a type of armor, and it retains heat and protects them in areas were the water is colder.

• The answer is DNA, it's comparing oranges and apples.

Human have fat, whales have blubber and it serves and heat preservative in the cold waters, without it whales would die of cold.

• ... Damn it, she's onto us!

• Lol i like that one why do whales stay so fat :P

• Ask popcorn...

(grabs God)

• Hey they are not fat. They are just big boned. Dolphins are still their hotter cousins though so yeah there you go. :P.

• They aren't fat, they are just bodybuilders 😀

• oohh yes.. why didn't i think that? :D

• @solitaireBond oh for sure, you will be the first one to know about any updates in the future haha..;)

• And please DO NOT forget the invitation @YazanAA & @cinderelli will you. :)

• Because they need it to survive in the cold temperatures of the water, and most of that so called "fat" is actually muscle to survive water pressure.

• they eat more than they burn off

• I think it's to help them float underwater, to eat krill

• That's deep..

• Whoa, I dont know. Maybe life is a lie and swimming actually builds fat?

• She just ate too many Krabby Patties

• It doesn't take much effort for whales to swim so they get lazy, but look at sharks and dolphins.

• to store fat in case they cannot find food and to keep themselves warm

• i know that.. but they swim all the time.. they should also lose weight...

• it's called blubber to be exact and they need it to stay warm in the freezing waters.
    ahhahahahha

• This applies to humans, who use their arms, legs, and core, and not fins...

• beause they eat too much...

• I never laughed of a question like this one :D tHank you verrry much :'D

• :) :) :) my pleasure..

• Ask the discovery channel they know better then any of us.

• nah... i trust GAGERS more.. :P

• Wow thanku to put your faith in me nxt time i won't dissapoint you 😄

• aww.. looking forward to that.. :)

• I think one of the guys was close insulation in cold water

• hahahahaha

What Girls Said 17

• They're not fat, they're just full of personality!

• I don't think most of their body is fat though. Plus whales don't have fat like we do they have blubber. Plus whales are just extremely big due to the fact that the ocean can support their giant bodies. If whales get on land. Their own weight helps up crushing them to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blubber

www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php

• o0o0o0o you had to be the one. lol!

• LOL cuz of all duh blubber mayne.

• Because they eat extremely large amounts I food. Also they go far down into the ocean where it's cold and need blubber to keep them warm

• I thought they were considered "big" not "fat" but then again don't they tend to naturally carry certain layers of fat on them?

• Insulation, as others have said, and fat floats!

• because whales are not humans.

• Whales aren't fat. They are just huge creatures compared to us haha!

• Are you serious right now?

• Because humans and whales are 2 different creatures and need different things for survival. If you lived in freezing water for a good chuck of the year you'd want a whole lot of fat to keep you warm too.

• they are huge

• Swimming > break down muscle tissues > whales eat shit lot > recover muscles > rest > increase in muscle growth > largest mammal in world.

• THEY'RE NOT FAT THEY'RE THICK AND BEAUTIFUL DON'T BE SO RUDE

• i know.. i love them :)

• Haha I don't know...

• Lol. Why is this so funny to me?

• IM SCREAMING