Have you ever deactivated your Facebook and why?

Between a horrible breakup and lurking my ex wall every 10 minutes, ex boyfriends/hookups trying to get back into my life and nosy fake friends AND family members wanting updates on your life I deactivated my Facebook. There's just no point. I'm beyond relieved that I did tbh.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I have a few times because I like to disappear. I did it when my phone was also turned off and my family got super mad at me cause they couldn't get ahold of me oops. I just like to go underground once and a while. I do that here too except we can't exactly deactivate it and turn it back on so I just don't log on. Haha

What Guys Said 7

• Yes, I have. In fact, I've deleted my account completely (a few years ago this wasn't possible but now it is). My girlfriend and my sister have also deleted theirs for similar reasons as me. Personally, I'm very sceptical of social media in general (I don't mean websites like this, I'm talking about Facebook, Twitter, Instagramm... that kind of stuff). I started off with MySpace, then I changed to Facebook. I first thought it's something really cool but I got to hate it more and more. I absolutely hate this whole keeping-up-appearances-attitude on Facebook. Everyone pretends so hard to have this really awesome, perfect life. Nothing is really genuine or authentic, it's just a bunch of lies and a nice facade but nothing behind it. This can be particularly difficult to take when you have some personal problems. I don't have a lot of friends and there were times when I was very sad about my life and I would go through all the Facebook pages of my Facebook-friends and see all their "perfect" lives and it made me feel like I want to commit suicide. I can't describe how miserable it made me feel. But then, at one point, I suddenly realized "wait... that's bullshit. Why would I do this to myself. If I think about it rationally, everyone has their problems. These people might be just as frustrated as you are, they're just not honest about it". Then I thought more about the whole Facebook concept and the more I thought about it, the more disgusted I became. I also hate how everyone has 500 friends but hardly knows any of them. So my first action was to go through my friends list and make a clean sweep. Old school friends I hadn't talked to in more than a year? Adios. Friends of my parents? Don't need them. People I met on vacation but realized they never actually posted anything on my wall, so they weren't actually genuinely interested in me? Byebye. I cut my friends list down to about 40 people. Family members, close relatives and my very, very best friends. That's it. But then I realized that even this was unnecessary and sort of stupid. I mean... why would you talk to your parents on Facebook? If I want to actually talk to them, I can just call or meet them. My final decision to delete my account came when I learned about Facebook's absolutely appalling and creepy attitude towards data security and user privacy and when the whole NSA-scandal was uncovered. That was enough, once and for all. And I haven't regretted it since.

• I deactivated my Facebook long time ago cause no one talked
    there was never no one who would message me so i find it
    no use to have one..

• My facebook account is gathering dust I hardly ever check it.

• Yes I have in the past

• I have a few years ago cause to me it was pointless having.

• Nope my Facebook is still running

• I don't use it anymore so it feels like I deactivated it.

What Girls Said 6

• i deleted mine a long time ago because too much drama was going on. i don't like people being all up in my business anymore.

• I'm going on 2yrs strong of deactivation. That thing used to run my life, it was ridiculous really. Glad I did though. Weight was lifted off my shoulders.

• Yeah I did it twice because I spent too much time there that I can't focus on my studies when I was in uni and 2nd when I was so upset with my friends that I decide to cut any contact they have with me.

• I have. Nothing special.

• i have a few times.

• I find that it's just a billboard for narcissists to gloat! That's why I left too