A Game Design degree? Worth it or not?

Hi everyone. First, sorry for my English .

I want to study Game Design in Europe . I heard that most of the game designers have freelance jobs and they have a hard time to find a full time job. Is it true? To be honest, I'm not 17 and have no time to waste. Is it really worth to study in Game Design?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm studying Game Design in the US, and it is worth it. Yes, it's not easy to have a stable job cause you're usually hired to do one game, but you get payed very good cause it's not an easy job. Also, studying game design will make you able to do other type of jobs like films (the program Maya is both used by filmmakers and game designers), or Graphic art, since Photoshop is a major tool in Game Design.
    Therefore, by studying game design you're not just preparing for the gaming industry, but also for other industries like film or advertising.

One of my teachers told me that as a Game Design student, you're gonna spend lots of nights at home studying, making projects, so you won't have a great college life, but once you graduate and get a job, it's when your good life starts, since you'll be getting a great salary. You will have to work at home to, cause you have to be on schedule, but if you organize well, it's gonna be great.
    He studied something related to film, but he got a job in a gaming company and he loved it, so he decided to stay in the gamin industry.

What Guys Said 8

• like n every design degree, the degree itself is worth nothing. if you don´t do a lot of extra stuff that makes you better then all the others, you won´t find a decent job.

• This is true. Your degree maters little, what really matters is the quality of your designs, your portfolio is the most important thing.

• The gaming industry is a very competitive one.
    It would be good if you are good at drawing, that's a huge plus.

It's always good to have connections as well. You'd need a degree, no doubt.
    But, even then thousands of people will be doing the same. You're better off doing Indie games.

• certainly, if you could land a job with a company like naughty dog, it would be worth it... but tbh i don't know what these companies look for when hiring. I wouldn't be surprised if they valued experience over degrees. I mean atm, im already learning how to make games on my own... so im not really sure how useful a degree really is for it. Just make sure you aren't taking on too much debt for this degree or you could find yourself in a bad spot

• I think going to uni was not as useful as I thought it would be, because there is a big disconnect between the education system and the industry. After I finished my engineering degree the real struggle began finding jobs (I am still jobless with masters)... Maybe someone else could do better in my position but I think if I had worked all that time from 19 until now I would be pretty wealthy.

• never's late so... give it a try

• i dont think its worth it. its just like acting almost. its not worth it at all unless you win big ortherwise you're just stuck with a piece of paper and a useless skill.

• Awesome...

• It's sounds like a very difficult industry to get into.
    Have you ever considered graphic design?

What Girls Said 2

• That's really just the nature of the industry. If you want something secure, it might not be your best option. If you want something exciting though, go for it.

• it is worth it.