Does a CD stores more data than a fixed hard disk?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• A CD can only store about 700MB (although there are highly compressed ones that can store more, not TOO much more though). Modern Hard Disks can store in excess of 1 TB.

1000 MB = 1 GB. 1000 GB = 1 TB. So no, not even close. It would take almost 2000 CDs to store the data of a single 1 TB hard drive.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• No, A standard 120 mm, 700 MB CD-ROM can actually hold about 737 MB (703 MiB) of data with error correction (or 847 MB total)... I got that from google, anyways hard disks hold in the gigabytes which is far greater.

the 700mb are cd-rw, BUT the DVD-rw hold 4.7GB.

-I like the cd or dvd-rw because they are more permanent, a hard disk can break or wear out, a cd can not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No and hard disk can store an almost unlimited amount of data because the physical size can always be upgraded. While a CD is completely limited in the physical space it can store. I know that CD technology is improving, but eventually they're gonna run out of space.

0|0
    0|0
  • You mean like a hard disk drive in your computer versus a regular CD. A hard drive stores much much more than a CD is capable of.

0|0
    0|0
  • A cd holds about 700 MB; a DVD holds about. 4.7 GB; hard drives hold much, much more than that.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1