Guys, What's a good career to choose for me guys? Does college equal success?

I'm starting college in the fall guys yes I know I'm 22 barely starting college. But I dont know what career I should choose or major I should say. Is there anyway I can find out. I'll settle on anything I can make money quick on cause I have my own dream that require skills and a lot of start up money. I honestly don't believe college can do anything for me except some 2d and 3d animation classes. But I might be wrong. I wonder if they have just normal art class guys let me know.

Here's what I like
I love English love love love it. I like write storys and coming up with ideas. reading storys and finding meaning in them.

I love art. I like drawing even though I can t but I'm learning how everyday I invest like 4 hours a day into this.
That's pretty much it.

Here what I hate.
I hate hate hate math. It gives me a headache. I don't retain much of it. It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't like science that involves math heavily.

Here what I wanna do with my life I wanna start my own independent comic/manga franchise like DC or marvel or Funamtion.

I don't think college equal sucess it just give u abetter chance I guess.

• college equals success
    29% (10)
  • it doesn't
    71% (25)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll
Thanks guys I'm not going to college until I'm 25 cause I want to chase my dream while I'm young.

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Going to be a long answer :P Anyway, first thing you need to understand is that all private and public schools have a "general education" requirement courses. In other words, you will have to take courses from many different majors because schools want their students to be more well rounded. You will probably change your major at least once throughout your career. I changed it 3 times before choosing economics.

Secondly, choose what you love to do. I'm sure you heard this saying many times, but the fact is you must always look at things years down the road. In other words, can you see yourself doing English or animation years down the road? I hate to break it to you, but English majors don't get paid very much. Additionally, English teachers have always been a pain in the ass for me because many of them tend to be egotistical assholes, at least in college. Why this occurs is still something I'm trying to figure out.

Thirdly, all hope is not lost. There are many ways to make money outside of your job such as investing in the stock market, an idea, a business, and so on. KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN! Odds are you will not land a job that is related to your major right away. College does not equal success, but it sure helps with improving your odds because you have to look at everything from an employer's viewpoint (assuming you want to work for someone and not yourself). Would you hire someone who is Phd graduate student vs an only college level undergraduate student? Odds are the Phd student will get the job.

Overall, you are correct about your assumption about college. Nevertheless, do what you love, but keep your options open. For example leave room for other passions you enjoy doing such as art (art also does not get paid well after college). By having more options open you allow yourself to be less vulnerable to job loss and poverty. Lastly, good job on trying to figure out what you want to do. Just keep in mind that you will probably change your major as most students do.

• One more thing, if you truly love animation that choose the Computer Science major. Last time I checked, about 3 years ago in fact, there was a 95% chance hiring rate out of college for students with this major. Be warned though, there is heavy math... Keep in mind though, sometimes you will have to suffer for the greater good...

What Guys Said 15

• I took an English degree from a small, well respected liberal arts college (Gerald Ford attended there, though not with me).

I worked for a time as a copyrighter and loathed it. Technical writing was boring and everything I wrote for promotional ads was either a lie or a DAMN lie. I felt like I was prostituting my art for evil corporations who cared about nothing but money. They also had a habit of crucifying me every time there was a single errant word or punctuation mark, even though many other people contributed and vetted the piece before it went to print. It was always, “James, how could you let this happen?”

Now I write in fiction and self-help and earn my living with technical skills. I am much happier.

Here is my best advice. Image the job you would like to do as a writer. Search the web and local companies and identify 3 people who have been working at this job for a while. Contact them and ask to do an “information interview.” Essentially, you make an appointment to interview them by phone or in person and ask about the realities of their job. What do you like? Dislike? If you were preparing again, what would you do differently? And so on.

This will give you a realistic perspective so you can “look before you leap.”

By the way, if you have your own dream, why not just go after that? What is it?

• Dont know if any of these points have been said, but I was in the same position as you my friend.

Basically, college is important if you know EXACTLY (underline exactly) what you want to do with the degree. Don't just go into a degree/major and 'hope for the best' after you finish. Have a plan - make sure you know the types of jobs you can get out of your subjects and prepare for them (even if the subjects taken are harder ).

Another thing that is underrated but so so so important is experience, be sure to try and get as much as you can while your at college, just go into places and apply to shadow somebody (work for free). You have no idea how valuable experience is. Think about it would you want to hire someone that knows what there doing straight away or someone who's new and needs introductory exposure to everything? In fact often experience overlaps prestigious university's.

A lot of people will give you that bullshit about do something that you love and you'll never work a day in your life - because no one will employ you LOL. But seriously, from what you've mentioned, its very hard to get a high paying job out of your interests listed. My advice if you want a stable income is to do something you have 'some' interest in. But remember work is work, your not meant to love the shit out of it.

If your interested in comics, the best thing to do, would something in IT - specialising in animation or something along those lines. there's good jobs in IT and it might be up your alley.

Good luck with it!

• College was equal to success 30 or 40 years ago from what I hear, but not today. Just do what you want to do, regardless if college has anything to do with it.

• Thanks man that really means a lot to me

• It's like people go to college today to become a doctor or nurse or pharmacist or something along the line that has to do with health that pays a lot, but everyone can't do that. I just hope you go to some school where they dont pester you with math and science crap.

• college usually equals working for the man from 9-5. yes you can live happy, but I wouldn't call it success unless what you do brings fulfillment to your life and you make a lot of money. e. g. opening your own business and having free time to do the things you love.

• Many employers are looking for those with a degree, for higher paying jobs at least.

I'd say an video game designer? Or illustrators for book covers for authors?

• Actually it really depends on what kind of job one is aiming for. More than half of my peers aren't working in the field they went to college for. Most jobs will teach you on the spot.

• Well if that works for you. I know I gotta go for my field, veterinarian. Don't think I can get hired without a degree, you know?

Maybe it depends on location for them?

• For what you enjoy doing, college is not gonna help you much. Art and English degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

• medical, engineering, robotics, Computer programming, lawyer. I would not pay money to go to school for anything else.

• If you want a career that is of the norm such as doctor, lawyer, engineer, electrician all of these need college or higher formal education. However if you want to pursue being an entrepreneur or be your own boss you can be successful without it.

• Ok this is harsh but NO, it doesn't.
    Mainly because society is fucked up.
    EDUCATION IS ALWAYS GOOD, but if you are short on money then better focus on something to pay the bills.

I cringe writing this...

• Personal friend of mine got an English degree and he works for a big tech company.

• get your business degree and work from there.

• Of course college does not equal success. That's a ridiculous statement. But it can certainly help.

• I would say if you put in enough work than you would succeed.

• People with a University degree earn more than those without it FACT.

• College only equals success if you major in something you can get a job with. Some majors are completely worthless like a degree in philosophy for example.