How come minimum wage is little and a house is so expensive?

Hello gaskg. I've been thinking about minimum wage were I live it's 11.25 an hour so a full time job pays $90 a day and 450 a week not including taxes. Forget about buying a house with a minimum wage job but you can't even afford to rent an apartment. How does the government expect people to live off 11.25 an hour is 20% below the poverty line. How is anybody Soppsse to live I'm from Ontario in Canada and its unreal. Why does the government treat and keeps its people below the poverty line. Living pay check to pay check

I used to get paid $15 an hour back when I wAs 17 but my parents made me lose my job and completely duke d my life some people say fammily wants what's best for you not even they wants what's best and easyer for them

Most Helpful Guy

• $11.25? It's something like $8.75 where I live. I make peanuts.

Statists are what they are. Their philosophy is what it is. And once they seize power, they keep it. Mark Twain said it best: if whom you voted for made any real difference, they wouldn't allow you to keep doing it.

Don't let centralists seize power in the first place. Because they are the clog that refuses to leave your drain pipes.

On top of that, minimum wage can go up and up and up. And so can cost of living. But here's the thing they don't tell you: tax codes are updated very slowly. So the more wage goes up, the higher your tax bracket is. Regardless of cost of living. It's one wolf fighting for you, and two fighting against you. The state tells you the cost of living wolf isn't strong enough to matter, and wants you to pretend the tax code wolf doesn't exist.

What Girls Said 6

• It's because inflation and the cost of living has risen far faster than minimum wage and even the average wage. I know it's true in the US and I'm assuming it's the same in Canada to a lesser extent.

Can you get research getting into a traditional or trade school?

• Hey thanks for posting I'm trying to get into gasfitting I had a apprentice lined up with a cuz on of mine but my dad burnt my bridges on that so now I goto do it on my own

• NP

My recommendation would be to let it go and look for a new apprenticeship. There's always a demand for electricians, plumbers, etc...

• Well, people used to live with their parents until they saved enough to marry and live with their spouse

• Minimum wage isn't meant to be "lived" off of. Just have to either find a second job, go to school and hope to get a decent paying job after graduating, or live with your parents/family and save any money you can.

• whats the point of working then if you can't even afford a place to lay your head? Even though you worked for 8 hours a day to make this little bitch richer?

• Then look for better employment opportunities. Hone your skills, get educated, licensed in a trade, and make yourself a better prospect.

• So what's is minimum wage meant for then

• Wow 11.25. I get paid $9

• That's the minimum were I'm from and you can't do nothing with it by the way its cheaper to buy a house in usa then in Canada

• . . . and you're not complaining. 😊

• I don't want to complain but it's just crazy to me I know you should goto school so you can get a better job but how can anyone live of that it's beyond me

• IKR I don't give a fuck what no one says, "SOMEONE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WORK 12 hours shifts for 3-4 days in a row" just so that they could BARELY MAKE ends meet. Whats the point then?

People say min wage isn't a living wage COOL, but you're telling me that someone should go waste 8 hours of their life per day right, YET BARELY BE ABLE to afford a decent place to live, if any?

Mcdonalds makes millions OF DOLLARS annually (profit), yet they can't fork out a little bit of cash to help out their employees smh funny right?

Naw I see what the people on the high horse are saying when it comes to them" going to college so that they could get paid more/have better jobs" COOL I'm just saying that If someone spends 8+ hours per day of their life they should at least be able to have a place to lay your head man + food on the table without having to worry LOL

• Fuck mc Donald and these big corporations imagine the price of a combo if minimum wage went up

• that's the world we live in.

• That's the world that we live in but the people running it are trying to keep it that way it's up to the law abiding citizens to change it

What Guys Said 7

• When did it become the government's job to provide for your well being? That is YOUR job!
    You need to understand the nature of business. People are in business to make a profit and live off of those profits. How much you earn depends on many factors. Your education level, ability to mange, solve problems, make things work. If you are good at these then you are employable. But it is not up to the government to provide for your existence.

• supply and demand, should have paid attention in highschool economics instead of trying to smell the cute girl in front of you's hair lol jk

• Neither your government nor mine gives a shit if we live or die. If you get the chance, go into something freelance, like carpentry, that usually pays under the table.

• I also live in ontario. Shared accommodation is key to surviving on that.

• There's politics working for the people.

• ... You're still making more than the minimum of the US. A lot more.

And by the way, they don't care. They never did.

• That's my point Canada and the U. S. two major countries in North America and minimum wage is so cheap. How can anyone survive it boggles my mind

• Maybe those people have other means of income, albeit not as legal. You know, drugs and such.

• If only right wingers saw the simple logic in this.

• Hey what's up its really messed up how the government does this to it people I know people should go to school and get a career but the minimum wage situation is horrible all over the world