How to draw realistic face from photo?

There is a friend of mine, a girl in my class. Yesterday I told her that I will draw a photo of her and she brought me one today. At first the photo seemed easy to draw. And I told her that I will be ready in a week. But when I got home I tried, but the result was that the girl I draw doesn't look the same as the girl in the photo. Any ideas? Any tips on how to draw realistic faces (from a photo)? Tutorials maybe?

Most Helpful Guy

• draw the outline, draw the eyes, draw the nose, draw the hair, etc. make sure you do some shading too, as only cartoons live without shadows and for the outline of their face, its usually thicker than say the nose outline.

• Thanks. One more thing. Let's say that I draw everything - nose, eyes, lips, done with the shading... but what if I can't make her actually look like her. Everything looks quite well and realistic but the problem is that it doesn't look like the girl in photo. Any tips on that?

• quick solution would be erase and start again.

better solution would be practice.

I know I sucked at charcoal drawings when I first started.

What Guys Said 3

• You should look into the book: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. Really helpful stuff.

• If you don't think you got enough drawing practice try tracing it.
    All you need is a big slab of glass, a bucket and a torch. I think you can figure out the rest.

If you want to draw, in drawing human faces without using ovals what i do is I draw the nose first, this gives me a good idea of propotions and my picture doesn't look awkward in any sense. and while drawing just concentrate hard enough to nail every feature. Keep on erasing and redrawing unless you get it bam perfect.

• i dont exactly have the best drawing skills sorry

What Girls Said 1

• there are tutorials on youtube.