Do you believe non-English speakers should be taught English in school, as their primary language and their native language should be optional only?

1st of all I have nothing against non-English speakers…. but I believe it’s sad dat their primary language taught in school, is their native language, and English r only optional.

I mean it’s sad, coz I believe being taught yer native language, will isolate u from people from other countries by some degree, ESPECIALLY when u r young. I mean for example, a 12 yo livin in Spain or Portugal won’t be able 2 handle proper communication wid a citizen livin in US or Canada, when they chat online, coz English language isn’t their primary language in school. It’d be harder also when they play some video-game genres, like RPGs, coz there’s lots of text in English . So it’s really “unfair” in their case.

So being taught yer native language as yer primary one will make u handle proper communication ONLY wid native speakers. Note also dat most non-English speakers have a serious lack of knowledge in slang, so they’d have even a harder time handlin communication wid some English native speaker

Definetely I believe English should b taught as da primary-language worldwide, including slang terms as well. Everything’s in English after all…movies/music/video-games, etc……so….

• I Agree
  • I Disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, English is an international language, so it would certainly come in handy if they did.

What Girls Said 16

• No, I completely disagree with that. The rest of the world shouldn't have to bow down and work around the English language. There are so many other beautiful languages in the world and those citizens in other countries should not have to learn a non-native language first, that doesn't make any sense. Learning English should be optional for them and if they want to become fluent, they can. What if I said YOU should learn other languages instead of English? That wouldn't be right and neither is telling people of other countries that they should have to learn English before their own language.

• I was meanin... they have a harder time becomin fluent...

by the way, u gave me some idea for my next question... : D

• Lol well I look forward to seeing your next question then.

• My native language is dutch, I speak french and English and understand german (sort of). The way you put it, I have to disagree. It comes in handy to know extra languages where ever you go you will be able to communicate. However if you go by this logic we should all learn ; chinese, french, English and Spanish cause those are the 'most' important languages. I would like to see how many people would be able to pull that off 😥. The french speaking people in our country can often hardly speak dutch... I find it a tad bit disrespectfull as your motherlanguage is the most important one, it's a bit who you are. And to say that isn't so important is the same as saying that you aren't as important as others. Besides it isn't about what should be your main language, I am proof of that my grades for English are way better then dutch,... Languages just come naturally for me. On the other hand you got people that study as hard as they can and just can't seem to master it. And site note: teaching children from a young age a foreign language seems a good idea (or so they thought here), but it only gives the children too much stress

• Look at the Spanish, Portugese, Japanese, Koreans and Chinese - they barely speak English!

You know why? Because their nation is strong enough to survive without requiring their people to learn the international language. In fact, you will have to learn their language to communicate with them xD

But of course, if you ask me for about individual development, one should be able to speak English which is understandable for communication. I don't think slang terms are extremely necessary though.

Proud to say, most people in my country can speak at least 2-3 different languages. I can speak 5 for daily and business communication, currently picking up a 6th language. Also learnt a few words of Korean and Japanese :) #onlyMalaysianscandothis

• Why should the rest of the world adjust and work around the English language. It's like someone from Spain not knowing Spanish cause they were forced to learn English . They should know their own language. So I disagree. It should be optional if they want to learn English . Plus they may never use it. You never know

• lol what? I don't really have problems with people who's English is a second language.

More often, when i post a comment here I often get a native English speaker from America saying #what do you mean?#

I am getting the fact it may be because they don't talk to people or not or understands social cue very well.

Did you see the long detailed questions here? They write sentences that keeps going and has no full stop. I don't even know what the fuck they are on about.

• Maybe you should learn proper English , before you lash out at us with other native languages. I strongly disagree with you, my native language means more to me than English does, but still I don't have problems communication in English . First and foremost children should be taught their native language, then they can build on others.

• *Comunicating sorry :)

• never understood this "culture" thing though... people say language's a part of our "culture"... oh lord :|

• It is part of our culture, a very big part :)

• English isn't optional (at least here), we have to take English classes 2 times a week, while our native language is taught 4-5 (4 Romanian, 5 Hungarian) times a week, but isn't optional. I agree with you that they should pay more attention to English , as a lot of people don't know it properly and it would help to comunicate with everyone, not just with people from US. But we have to know our native language as well, not just English .

• Where I live the only ones who get that privilege are native Spanish speakers. From an early age they are allowed to be in bilingual classes. The teacher will teach in Spanish with a bit of English . As they advance in grade, English will be implement more. Later they'll make the transition to full English .

Personally, I find it unfair. Because only Spanish speakers are allowed that. I don't see it in others. There's a large Asian community where I live and the students are in a monolingual classroom. Only English .

• Southern US right? They speak Spanish as well, if i'm not wrong

• Yes. I live in Texas.

• There are many schools in Korea that teach English in school as their primary language so all subjects are taught in English . BUT most students in those school still cannot speak/read/write good English because they live in Korea where everyone outside of their school only speak Korean. So they are only exposed to English while they are in school

I agree English should be taught since it gives them more chances to communicate with people all around the world, and gives more chances to learn new things all over the world.

But I personally think learning another language including English depend on how much time and effort you use to learn and practice the language. So even if English is taught as the primary language, if a person isn't interested in learning English .. they would still have hard time communicating with English speakers.

• lol i'm a non English speaker myself and i was taught both English and French since my early childhood

• I think it's a ridiculous thing to do. It would be like destroying a big part of ones own unique culture. They can take English as a second language instead.

• If there are international languages to be tought, it should be Spanish and chinese. They are more widespread.

• Spanish basically... chinese (mandarin) r spoken within their country only... no?

• Spanish covers a big population in middle and south america and even in Africa and in Europe (and the US) more and more people start speaking Spanish. Chinese is slowly becoming the leading language in a lot of Asian countries (except for Japan. They don't like chinese)

• fuck japan! lol

• Since 1st grade we're already taught English but at the same time we also study our national language. The country speaks a lot of dialects and because English has become a medium when it comes to instruction on most of the subjects taught here we are slowly forgetting our own. I disagree that it should be the primary language to use but I do agree that it should be taught with as much important as one's native language.

• If you have English as an optional language you can still learn it and be fluent in it.
    What's stopping you?
    You just got to be determined and work hard.
    I disagree.

• In some country, English is mandatory as a second language (in school to take it as a subject/class)

• That does make sense.

What Guys Said 13

• As a non-English speaker I think that there should be a balance. English should really be mandatory, but in a degree of equality with the native language of the location. Both languages should be taught. Children are smart, they'll learn!

I started learning English when I was 9 years old, today I consider I was already old to start but it was way before the age people normally start [trying] to learn English where I live. I believe that today my English is pretty good, but I did suffer a little to understand slangs and stuff like that.

Learning English is necessary, the sooner the better, but our native languages shoudn't be forgotten.

• I disagree. I feel it's important to keep the diversity of languages alive.

English is already so dominant due to the Internet etc.

I think you can improve people's English in other ways than making it the primary language. E. g. better education for English teachers. Internet access. Etc.

• I think English will be surpassed by other languages soon.

• And it seems the next language will be Mandarin Chinese.

• If you have the time, why not both? But really, Spanish is so much easier! I'm just very glad my family speaks Chinese so it helps a lot :)

• @valeriewen tried but very difficult...

• Preservation of native languages is important, but English is now the "global language," like it or not.

English is not the best language in the world and certainly not the only way to think. I am heavily in favor of preserving and learning other languages.

• I feel native tounge and culture is important, so many people work to actually preserve those languages

And i feel that people bend over backwards to communicate with America n the rest of the world, it's time we met their effort with some on our end

• No I absolutely disagree that's like cultural genocide. Would you like it if French people forced you to speak French and forget English? Don't force people to abandon their roots.

• it depends on where you live. if you live in the middle of china or something, chances are you are never going to need English in your life

as for where i live, we are taught English german in french in addition to our native language

• Y chinese people isolate themselves from da outside world?

• I disagree. I think BOTH should be MANDATORY to be taught. Possibly at a higher level and more intensely than they taught English to me.

• Seriously this is stupid and I disagree completely. Like it or not English isn't better that any language. Second if they're in a non-English speaking country why does it matter. It wouldn't affect you.

• Yes, English is essential. But focus should also be given in other foreign languages, too.

• the most important languages that someone needs to know are English , mandarin, and Spanish. as most foreign stuff happens in those languages

• Do you mean in every school or just in English speaking countries

• every school

• So they can communicate wid people leavin outside

• if you go to another country the least you could is try to learn some of the language before you go

• Lol we were taught English as primary /compulsory and native optional.