How come old farts always spout off that they know better?

I can understand a child or teen not having the experience to understand the world, but why do really old crotchety (usually conswervative) farts think they know better than someone who's gone to university and follows current events?

Whenever I have a political conversation with an old guy (usually a guy), they often go on and on about how much wiser they are than young punks.

I talked to a conswervative old fart about the Edward Snowden issue, and he basically says "we don't know how complicated it is ~ a nation must defend itself ~ we don't know the whole story". Yes, moron, we don't know that the NSA is violating the constitution. That's very unclear. We must protect ourselves? Then why not just appoint a dictator and declare martial law, just in case? Nothing can be safer than that, right?

I talk to another conswervative old fart about the role of corruption and how big money has bought the laws. That the banksters openly engaged in fraud and crashed the economy 7 years ago, and admit to doing so by paying fines, but that the reason no regulation to prevent this has taken place is because they bought the government. In fact some regulations were even taken away, which makes about as much sense as throwing gasoline on a fire to put it out. I say we need some serious reform and an amendment to ban legal bribery. But the old bastard starts off about how "communism is not the answer ~ we have the best system we can realistically have". Communism. The satan of politics. So Stalin had a mustache, therefore mustaches resemble communism. Ban mustaches! And whoever doesn't have a mustache can do whatever they want because they are against communism. That's basically the level of nonsense that he's arguing.

Yes. The Old Order is so fucking wise and level-headed that they developed the situation we find ourselves in now. And yet they demand we listen to them? (Yes, yes, we know, it was "that one", that boogeyman scapegoat over there that caused all the problems. Spare me.)

Most Helpful Guy

• It is because ignorant people don't know they are ignorant. They get set in their ways and don't feel like they need to take in new information and change their opinion. People also try to invent ways to believe they are superior to others. Since they are older than most people that allows them to convince themselves they must be more knowledgeable than most people.

The scary thing is that even you and I could end up like that one day. The knowledge we have today could be so wrong in the future we end up sounding as dumb as they do. Hopefully we can use their ignorance as a warning to ourselves to keep our minds open to an ever changing world.

• If I live to see brain cpu implants, I'll get it done immediately, even if I'm an old man. Short of medical dementia, I hope I can stay open minded into old age.

• You are already under the control of the government. The education you receive conditions you to believe what they want you to believe. The media goes through a filter to make other countries sound worse than our government even though they are just doing the same things we are doing. Your health care now can punish you for your freedom my imposing additional taxes on people deemed unhealthy. They trick us about what is in our foods to the point that even organic food is now being sprayed with pesticides. They approve drugs that can alter how you feel. They can even force you to give ADD medicine to your child even though most other countries have banned those medicine as they are VERY dangerous to the child's brain development. In what way are we not under the control of the government?

• @Red_Arrow that's a textbook example of what curmudgeons are going to say about it. I see no good reason for forcing anyone to get cpu implants if they existed. But I can imagine a completely fictional scenario where society is progressing in relative harmony in parallel with the development of some mental collective technology, while some hyper-individualist "separatists" create violence in response to some perceived loss of personal liberty. I can imagine it because using violence to impose policies is as common in human history as bird shit in an aviary.

What Girls Said 3

• How much longer before I'm considered an old fart? ;)

• It's more of a state of mind. When you start headbutting the same brick wall repeatedly thinking it will fall, you're an old fart.

• @red_arrow so i;d b da one who'll have da chance seein @bellegirl21 outfit LOL :p

i wonder how i'd b 30 years l8r... hope i'll still b skinny, and i'd dye my hair if they go white LOL

• If you have any hair left. lol

• When you say "old farts" do you mean like people who are like +60?

• Different ages for different people, but it's more of a state of mind. My definition is mostly when someone believes their wealth or power makes them inherently right, regardless of any other evidence. Younger people usually don't have either, or when they do it's inherited and they're not taken seriously.

• Then those people are just ignorant fools.

• haha okay then...

What Guys Said 9

• Going to university and following current events does not make you wiser or more likely to have the right answers than others who have also gone to university and follow current events. I have a Baccalaureate degree and follow current events, but find I have different views than others who have the same "qualifications". And the ones I find that are most conservative and believe they have all the answers are usually the young one. There are a few on here that are your age and younger who seem to be the worst. I do not understand why you feel "old" and "stupid" belong together..

• Get a job, Red_Arrow! You conservative know-it-all! :)

I agree.

• Which is why I said intended conservatism. The conswervative leaders use the classic tactic of stirring up boogeymen to gain support. The complete lack of mainstream journalism has in its place enough propaganda to enable the ignorance needed to gain support. It doesn't matter that conswervatives want to abolish social safety nets and have old people eating cat food, like in the Great Depression. If the predominant narrative is that liberals are taking oor jerbs, that ethnics are massacring WASPs and taking their money, that barbarians are at the gates, and that a certain party is causing all that, then it will boost support for the opposing party. Sure, we have a burgeoning independent media on the internet, but certain people tend to stay with the old media: old people. And even if that changes, the conswervative disinformation machine is encroaching on new media as we speak. My mother reads innocuous health sites that are peppered with conswervative talking points.

• And by the way, the people who "fought" for the ACA are not what I would call liberals. The ACA is a conswervative plan to boost insurance industry profits, and always has been. Conswervatives gushed over its proposal in the 90s, at least one conswervative governor implemented it in his state, but they turn against it the moment the opposition party implements it, purely as theater to rustle public emotions, and therefore support. The only true liberals fought, and continue to fight for things like single payer.

• Those old farts you quoted have more sense in their dicks than you have in your entire body. I too went to 'university'... 4.0. Summa Cum Laude... Phi Beta Kappa.

The one thing it truly taught me was to shut the fuck up and start my real education... in life.

• Anything relevant to say, or just "you suck"? No opinion on the detailed substance?

• No sorry... too much detail and not enough substance.

• Fair enough. Looks like you're already full of enough of a certain substance.

• I'm an old man with all the answers to everything!!!

Also, get off my lawn and lower taxes.

That is all.

• But you make some interesting points. You are really having a conservative/liberal argument with people it seems.

• No offense, but that just sounds like complacency to me. As if you'd rather pretend to be more comfortable in the short term instead of doing something about it.

• To each his own, I suppose. No offense taken.

• How come old farts always spout off that they know better?

Are you essentially doing the same thing?

Only difference is that you're not an old fart... yet 😈

• I never said it was exclusive. But white haired guys tend to run the world. People think being old and wealthy/powerful automatically proves your wisdom. All it proves is your ability to survive the competition or your luck. Age doesn't disprove technical abilities, but given the fact that lying and BSing is also an ability that increases with age, I would just consider it a wash. Those aren't traits that equate to the wisdom to shape society's ability to prosper in the long term.

• I agree that age doesn't nessesarily equal wisdom.

• Older people do know better, you're the moron.

• Thanks for the insightful and relevant argumentation, u poopy face!

• "Poopy face" lol... there's no coming back from that one 😉

• I 'm a young fart and i smell better than those old farts... they r just jelly :|

• Hey, I'm an old fart!

• Son, being educated doesn't mean your intelligent.

• You don't think children have an understanding of the world. Aren't other people allowed to think the same about people younger than them?

• They're not just allowed, they're encouraged to do so. Push back is necessary, esp. when the proof of the world around us shows the failure of old policies.