Am I an alcoholic or am I just depressed?

I've been little upset about my breakup. Since then, I've turned to alcohol to ease me down some. It helps me sleep and I drink a lot on weekends when I have idle time to think and it takes my mind off of negativity and makes me feel better. I'm afraid it may become an addiction. I don't just drink beer. I drink liquor and wine specifically because it gives me a calming feeling like no other. I get dizzy and then I get sleepy. After awhile I start to dose off and can't remember anything. Am I just depressed or an alcoholic? What Can I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been having the same problem and I'm trying to find something that will actually make me happy instead of alcohol...

• Yeah alcohol is really the last resort but it's not good. Hey if you wanna talk let me know. It's always good to talk things out with a person you have something in common with or who is going through the same thing.

• Thanks I appreciate the offer..

What Guys Said 7

• how often do u drink? weekends only?

• After work to sleep. I had a hard time sleeping for months. Wine helps me sleep.

• oh man that's shitty... better avoid it, or drink less often at least... :/

• You're both!

• typical human solution. Humans are useless.

• You know alcohol is a downer so it is more thank likely to exasperate your depression.

• I think you are depressed. I have been doing the same thing since my relationship ended. sounds like you need to see a therapist or find a hobby.

• I have no energy whatsoever, almost like something is pinning me down. I get sleepy out of nowhere. You ever feel that way?

• yeah, i feel like that now. i left a party where we were going to go on a party bus to downtown because of it. all i want to do is sleep. it is a bad thing, the best advice is to go see a therapist.

• If it's basically all you're doing now, you've become an alcoholic

• You could be both.

What Girls Said 7

• Alcohol is a depressant so it's making you feel even worse about your break up. It sounds like you need to get busy and out of the house. Is there a park you can walk around or feed birds at? Maybe you can go to one of those places where you paint ceramics and they glaze and fire them for you? I bet a new exercise regime will help you sleep waaaaay better than the alcohol did.

There's so many great things you can do out there. Don't lock yourself away so you miss all of them.

• You're right. I just need the motivation to work out. I've lost tons of weight because I'm not eating anymore. Basically all I do is drink, work and sleep.

• That's really not healthy and I think you know that :c

• I think you're just looking for something to alleviate your stress, perfectly normal, I drink on weekends mostly! If you sense that you're reliant on alcohol take a step back and reevaluate.

• Don't use alcohol to soothe your pain. Just sleep on it. When I liked a guy and he ended up asking out another girl, I was depressed so I just slept all day - I did not drink alcohol - I just slept a lot.

• Both. See a therapist, and stop drinking. Look for other less harmful ways to ease the comfort like music

• I think the alcohol is a contribution to your depression.

• It sounds like you are developing an addiction.
    I'd go to a therapist or seek help or rehab possibly.
    You've turned alcohol into a coping mechanism and thats not healthy.

• Sounds like you're an alcoholic.