What are the advantages and disadvantages of smoking cigarettes?

Most Helpful Guy

• The pros: none, zilch, nada.
    The cons: everything.

Why would you want to start smoking?

• To seem cool, I guess...

• Because they're addicted by that age. They didn't start smoking at that age, they were just like you and started at 16 to look cool in front of their friends. Ask any one of them if they would quit smoking if they could. They will tell you they wish they hadn't taken up smoking in the first place.

• I'm gonna heed your advice.
      Thank you :)

What Guys Said 15

• Advantages - It protects against Alzheimer's disease and ulcerative collitis.

Disadvantages - It can cause variety of cancers mainly "squamous cell carcinoma" of the lung.

• Advantages: Personal ones you decide. Some are valid, everything to individual experience.

Disadvantages: almost all health/financial related (you can look it up), increased social stigma since 1950s.

In the end it's your decision. Don't bother others about it.

• Advantage: You become friends with fellow smokers during work breaks. Even if you want to quit smoking you still don't want to abandon these friends.

• advantages , I don't get stressed and I don't break out in pimples, I can focus better, more reasons to talk to someone who is also smoking, because I find girls who smoke hot.

disadvantages, its not accepted in Canada by many women. the health risks, my friend got a little smaller ^_^.

• The part about not getting stressed out is actually a very bad excuse smokers use to justify their addiction. See, non-smokers don't get stressed out about the things smokers without cigarettes get stressed out. It's not the actual thing that stresses you out as a smoker, it's the fact that you have to deal with a problem and you don't have a cigarette at the same time. In other words: the nicotine starts making your brain BELIEVE it needs the nicotine. Not getting it is very stressful and because smoking makes you into a person who is generally more impatient or stressed out easily, dealing with problems also becomes very stressful. I can promise you that if you quit smoking, you won't get stressed out anymore, even without the nicotine. The same rule applies to people who drink 5+ cups of coffee per day. They CLAIM they need it to stay awake but the truth is, their body just got used to it. I don't drink any coffee and I can go through an all-nighter and still stay awake.

• I agree, but I was a very angry/violent person before I started smoking. Nowdays, I'll gather myself, gather my thoughts, think logically, maybe take a smoke and then deal with the problems. I'm not a heavy smoker.

Yeah I know, the body doesn't produce its own testosterone after drinking so much coffee on a regular.

• also when I said stress, I meant mental stress, not emotional :)

• Advantages: You'll lose weight since nicotine destroys your appetite.
    Disadvantages: You die much younger and you go out very painfully.

• Advantages: you feel good while smoking it

Disadvantages: you look stupid, people don't want to be around you, you will cough more often, you will wrinkle easier, your voice will be more hoarse, you can get cancer easier, you will get addicted, you will be depressed when you aren't smoking

• Advantages:

Disadvantages: Bad for your health and bank account

• Advantages: none
    Disadvantages: death

• No advantages. Disadvantages: damage to your lungs, brain, and teeth; impotence (not your case, naturally); slow, extremely painful death.

• advantages- it can make you look tougher and can help you fit in with a group of friends that smokes. natural de-stressor
    disadvantages- causes a variety of cancers, weight loss, extreme addiction, and is an enormous financial burden

• There aren't really any advantages so just don't do it but if ur gonna smoke go with weed cause at least u get a good feeling from it

• there are no advantages to smoking

• Men are less interested in smokers. Women are a lot more likely to smoke than men, and non-smokers generally don't date smokers. Also, the best men don't smoke, especially those with good incomes.

• There are no advantages

• The biggest advantage of smoking is cancer. It all goes downhill from there.

What Girls Said 11

• No advantages. Disadvantage is everyone thinks you're disgusting and you will die horribly and everyone will blame cigarette and wonder why you were never smart enough to quit.

• There are no advantages.

• One advantage is that smoking is social. You know the disadvantages, like probably dying earlier than you should haha
    But the social aspect is great. I have met all of my friends on smoke breaks. All. Say, during university, us smokers in the smoking area formed tight friendships as we caught up twice a day for half an hour or so to have a cig. It's the norm to say hello to other people in the smokers's areas. I dunno, but this is honestly how I have made most, if not all of my friends; in smoker's areas!

• There is no good reason to start smoking. Period. People think, "i can quit anytime I want" They can't.

Why do you think the quitting smoking industry makes so much money? Why does it make money to begin with? You guessed it...

Just don't. Be smart. You'll only have regrets if you start smoking. Plus it makes u stink not to mention will kill you. People have gotten lung cancer from only having been a smoker for a few months...

• Advantages: None.
    Disadvantages: Cardiovascular diseases (first cause of death in the western civilization), cancer, impotence and maaaaany others.
    To be fair some say it helps them to relax, but there are other better ways to do that.
    And smoking isn't even cheap and it is also addicting.

• Seriously? Advantages are whatever you feel is the reason why it's worth doing
    Disadvantages: read the warning label on the pack

• There are no advantages of smoking in my book.

• Advantages: none
    Disadvantages: too many

• Disadvantages - ALL OF THEM.
    Advantages - none.

You will:
    smell bad, have yellow teeth, yellow fingertips, never really wash the stench off of you, might get lung cancer.

• I don't think there are any advantages of smoking

• advantages-none