Is it bad to have self confidence?

I was talking to a few people I know and they kept talking about how they feel so insecure about how they look. I told them that they shouldn't care about what other people think and I said straight up that I think I am very pretty and they should think the same about themselves. After that they seemed all offended and one of them said "maybe I'm not as full of myself as you, sure you are skinny and pretty but we sure aren't." I just walked away and since when is it bad to have self confidence, I was just trying to help them feel less insecure.

Most Helpful Girl

• Self confidence is good, but women (maybe men as well, idk) are expected to at least pretend they think they're ugly. It doesn't make much sense to me, just another way to spread unnecessary insecurity around.

I remember in middle school, for the first and only time, I actually liked my school picture. All my friends were going on about how terrible they looked, then comforting each other, then pretending not to believe each other, and I said "Mine's actually okay for once, haha." And one girl just snatched my picture up and immediately informed me of all my flaws in it. -.-

So basically we all just spread our insecurities around and expect everyone to participate. Do not participate. Don't brag or anything, but don't degrade yourself just because it's expected.

• Wow. I think I get it now, thanks! :)

• No problem. :) "Misery enjoys company" probably would've been a much quicker answer, haha.

What Guys Said 7

• Sounds like the insecurity in them speaking, but no. There is nothing bad or wrong with having self confidence.

• It's bad if you come off as arrogant. (Which happens to me)

• ABSOLUTLY NOT... You know your friends think they don't have self confidence because they are not "pretty"...
    Let me tell you... I am young but I have learned one thing..
    It his the other way around... They are not pretty because they don't have self confidence.
    If you convince yourself you are a strong person, a beautiful character.. Then others will believe you and accept it as the truth.
    AND Vice Versa, if you send the image of an unconfident person, who cannot get your hand on what they want in life, then people will take you as such...
    The first step into making others see you as confident and strong, successful his to see yourself this way first, don't you think...
    I guess, since they told you that, and visionned you this way, as a confident person, then you are a winner, they have the opportunity to become it too!! But they don't, you do... AND there his absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• hahhahah that's gr8!! better than being insecure ;)

• Hell no. Confidence is awesome as long as it doesn't spill over into full blown vanity.

• It is good to be confident.

• Keep having self-confidence, but find better friends.

What Girls Said 4

• They mistaken your self confidence for arrogance. There's no way you are going to win with those people.

They didn't ask for help so don't help them. If they talk about their own insecurities to you, they just want you to listen.

• Oh... okay next time something like this happens I will just listen and this probably won't happen again.

• or they just like using you for their shit dumping ground for why they look shitty.

• That could also be it, and that's probably why I haven't talked to them since this conversation I had with them.

• It isn't bad to be secure with yourself but that is like flaunting you A+ in front of someone who got a D

• It's not wrong to have self confidence personally I think it's a great thing more people should have and they clearly have to learn the difference between being full of yourself and being confident, they just have low self esteem/confidence.

• its a good thing.