If you are racist, why are you racist?

Enlighten me.

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of racists don't think they are racist.

What Guys Said 7

• does being Scottish count for a reason? XD

But nah Im not racist personally but for some its education, upbringing, narrow views that kinda stuff are some of the major reasons : )

• I agree with that, narrow views are inflicted during upbringing.

• None of your business... 🙈 plus ask something meaningful rather than asking endless questions...

• To be frank, piss off if you don't have an answer.

• The reason why I don't like Asians is because of how racist they are I never had an racist encounter with someone that is white. I don't think I'll ever like Asians but hey at least I don't look like my friends and coworkers aside from skin color

• I am not racist, but I do beleive many stereotypes are true. I try to excercise my intuition as best I could when there is little more to go on other than their appearance. As soon as I meet someone though, I give them a blank slate and I will reconfigure my ideas of them based on what I experience in reality.

Just to be sure, stereotypes are not races. A white man can fit the stereotype of a black gang member, and I will judge him the exact same way. Skin colour has nothing to do with it (at least in this case in particular)

• Fair enough but I don't understand why you believe in stereotypes? Someone could surely fit into a stereotype but stereotypes are not based on anything other than propaganda. Someone literally pulled stereotypes out of their ass to present their enemy as a monster or as an idiot or whatever like this media.brainz.org/.../Anti-Jap3.jpg or www.uni.edu/.../...t%20believe%20in%20suffrage.jpg

• They didn't come from nowhere. Some are more legitimate than others, but many of them hold at least some truth.

I recognize the fallacious reasoning which stereotypes can evoke, that is why I am weary of letting them take advantage of me.

If you consider the evolutionary mechanism which produced this behaviour in humans, you will find that not only is stereotyping good in many ways concerning survival, it also is unavoidable. No matter how much you want to be free from stereotyping, it is a function of the brain which simply cannot be stopped. You categories someone as soon as you see them, without your consent. The brain does it automatically, that is it's job.

It is important to not be ignorant of the law things and with a healthy approach and attitude, you can stereotype without letting it cause harm to others filling your brain with junk.

• I didn't used to be a racist but about five years ago I came to realize that black people already viewed me and other white people as racist. They were playing for their team and taking advantage of many things as they feel it is their right. I woke up and realized I need to get on my team. The blacks have different in values that I don't agree with and use race to their advantage all the time. Argue with a black person and in 5-10 minutes, no matter what you say, and they will call you racist.

• Black people call white people racist because they believe that they are systemically oppressed. They can only afford to live in poor areas (ghettos) because they couldn't get a job which is most likely due to discrimination or because they lack a college education and it's just a never ending cycle. These aren't my beliefs exactly but that's why black people say all white people are racist, because white people are the ones benefiting off the oppression of black people.

• I don't 100% agree with what you said but I certainly do with the whole upbringing thing because so many black people/families do live very good lives so obviously it's possible to not end up in the ghetto.

• White people gain nothing out of so called oppression of black people. I don't see any value that is derived from that. Cheap labor is provided by Mexicans. I also think the Mexicans will do better than blacks in 20 years as they have tight families and traditional values. They also work extremely hard.

That all said, the best teacher my kids had at school was a black man. He was amazing and taught them many things but most of all he taught them how to strive and achieve for excellence. i wrote him a note and put in it $700 for him to use however he wanted. he was the only one I ever did that for but he earned it and was great.

• I'm not. Most of the racism I have encountered is Black on White racism. It is institutionalized in the US, where for example, preferential funding is given to blacks for college (my children had to pay, were they black it would have been free), preferential hiring (I was an executive at a drug company and we had a lot of pressure to hire blacks over whites)... it is all a sorry statement on racism in America.

• This doesn't sound too legit... everything about America is hell bent on keeping blacks down so I doubt things like this happen (often, at least).

• Where is the black people free college sign up because my sister and I have crazy student debt. Also my parents need it so they could finally finish college.

• Well with respect to preferential admissions read these two articles:
      www.heritage.org/.../race-preference-in-college-admissions
      and
      www.brookings.edu/.../race-kane

With respect to funding read these:
      www.collegescholarships.org/.../...an-american.htm
      and
      www.scholarships.com/.../

For the real picture, you should look at each individual college's financial aid package with respect to blacks. You will find more than these programs.

• Some people are so shitty that they single handedly drive others to become racists.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm not a racist by I think people become racist because they're taught to hate. When you put little kids with people of different races they talk to each other, they ask about one another's hair, they acknoledge their differences yet want to learn more about each other and it's beautiful. They don't see that differences are a bad thing yet they feel no animosity between differences.
    It isn't until we teach them that something is wrong with people different. It isn't until we teach them about these stereotypes that they begin to believe them. And it isn't until we teach them that hating is okay, that they start to not have a problem with their actions.
    But someone said (I think it was Gandhi) that if we can teach people to hate then we can tech people to love

• Cause I want to.