If minimum wage is raised from $7.25 for example, what should it be raised to?

I'm all for raising minimum wage cause I come from a poor family where thats all I can possibly earn, given I'm fresh out of high school (by two days lol) and can't work elsewhere. People cry and complain that $15/hr is too damn much, so what should it be raised to?

If you think minimum wage SHOULDN'T be raised, then I'd appreciate it if you hit the back button/key and look elsewhere. Not that I'm trying to shut down those who don't agree with me, cause I can't in life, just because your answer will be incredibly irrelevant to my question in general. Btype that must have your voice heard, like leaving back is somehow unacceptable, then can you kindly explain why it shouldn't be raised?

Before you do, however, consider that not everyone getting that burger you wanna eat so badly is a 16 y/o who is "likely" working there just to make a little spending money. Or a lazy adult who doesn't want to actually go to college. Some people working there are like me and just need money to help put food on the table, pay for college in general, and/or have no other qualifications to work elsewhere. I get that people will compare pay to those in the military and say a worker at McDonalds shouldn't make more than an E1 in the army, but how about comparing how the military has the best healthcare, school help, tuition payment, provided housing for active duty soldiers as well as allowances, and great insurance. So they may make the similar amount, but one gets great things to help in life as well and some on minimum wage don't even know if they'll actually be able to afford dinner with rent coming up soon. Growing up as a child, a few years back, I remember many days not eating because rent was due and we couldn't afford much to eat because of the fact that the amount of money we were paid was not sufficient enough to also provide for three growing kids and two adults. Life decisions might have helped us in the past, but even the minimum wage job didn't help much.

Most Helpful Girl

• While this debate has been going on forever, there is always a counter argument. If it is raised to $15-20 per hour what happens to all the other people making less, will they get a raise above $20 to equal their salary % above the old wage, for example I am earning 12.50 an hour the wage is $7.50. I am earning $5 more than minimum. So will I now earn $25, or will I return to the minimum wage at $20? Also small businesses that are selling a product at retail now have to pay their employees more, and take a smaller profit, or do they raise their price to equal what they now have to pay in salary. So the new higher wage will be lost because that worker needs to pay $9.00 for a hamburger and fries not $6, ( you get the picture)'. Tough call.

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 7

• "People cry and complain that $15/hr is too damn much, so what should it be raised to? "

Yeah they cry cause people WILL get laid off and a lot of full time employees will now be part time. Instead of getting paid minimum wage you won't have a job and employment rate will go up.

• $7.25/hr= a monthly income of 7.25*8*5*4.5=$1305/month for a full time job.
    Try to pay rent, utilities, a car, food, clothing, transportation, tuition, the doctor etc with that.

If it's a half time job it's only $652.5/month

Success.

• I wrote an essay on this, actually:

www.voicesofliberty.com/.../

• "Or a lazy adult who doesn't want to actually go to college"<---- y lazy?

• Thats what I heard from people. All those who work in minimum wage jobs are either lazy ass adults whore refuse to get a college education or 16 y/o teens who just want a little spending money. I think its a load of bull.

• LOL

education my ass... u won't learn a shit in college. schools/colleges don't equalize "education"

• Some do, some don't. Thats my opinion.

• http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdl4ijru8o Workers of the World Unite.

• I'm all for people making minimum wage. But more often than not companies slash peoples hours when minimum wage is raised and they actually make less. It sucks but businesses are all about making money not helping their employees.

• I think it's ridiculous how much money some businesses make and yet they still feel the need to penny pinch their workers and continue the cycle of poverty.

• 8.25 per hour is the raised minimum wage in Delaware.