Is it unprofessional to quit a job I haven't even started yet?

I recently got a job at a marketing company called vector and I was like awesome first job, but today I got called for an interview at a restaurant.

my goal in life is to become a chef and I think this experience if I get the restaurant job will be SO valuable.

i wouldn't have a problem doing both jobs but the schedules would be tricky and I don't want to be picky about when I can work considering im inexperienced

what should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Money not being a criteria, you are getting an opportunity to land a job that is your dream? I'd say go for it. It's ok if you quit the other job that you've not even started on. If the co that's hiring you for sales wants to short staff and they're taking out the new people they're not going to be thoughtful about you. That is the corporate world. Think of and about yourself and keep going :) good luck

What Girls Said 6

• First of all, you only said that you have an interview. Don't quit your job in the marketing company until you know for sure that you have the job in the restaurant. After that, I would recommend sticking with the job at the restaurant and quit in the marketing company. The restaurant is going to be good for you in terms of experience, which will be great in the long run if you look for higher positions in other restaurants.

• thanks, should I give the marketing place a call or directly go to their location face to face to quit if I get the restaurant job?

• I'd say that a phone call would be okay if you haven't actually started yet, but you could always go and do it face to face if it's not inconvenient for you to do so.

• alright thanks

• Vector mass hires recent high school graduates or those being close to finishing school, so I don't think they'd be too upset if you decided to not work for them. I'd go with the restaurant position if offered the job, especially since you want to be a chef. It will give you experience and a way to see the ins and outs of the business. Good luck!

• You're welcome. Just keep in mind to wait until you get the offer for the position from the restaurant to quit the Vector job if you really want to. Don't potentially screw yourself out of two jobs.

• No it isn't. If being a chef is your passion, take it.

You can talk to HR about it. I think they would understand.

• Vector marketing is a scam. I just called them and told them I wasn't coming

• I think you should go for the restaurant position. If you really want to become a chef. I think you will do amazing. :)

• Interview at the restaurant and see what happens. If you don't get the restaurant job then you'll this one, but if you get it you can tell your marketing job the truth.

Never quit unless its a a sure thing.

What Guys Said 4

• No, it's fine. People do it all the time.

And you're going to quickly learn... workplaces aren't fair. Devoted employees will get fired/written up for no real reason, while slackers who complain to human resources get promotions. That's life.

It's a dog eat dog world as far as jobs go. Worse, we got cats munching cats, we got fish munching fish!

• Becoming a chief would offer more perks than becoming a chef, but if you're not Indian it will be a challenge.

• no... u can ALWAYS quit in my opinion

• ITS A SCAM~!!!

From someone with past experience with vector and I have had friends who worked there, I would tell you not to go for it. It is not necessarily a scam but it is a lot of hard work to sell expensive knifes costing about $650 door to door and they only pay you for every appointment you make and commission which is highly unlikely selling things that expensive. Trust me not a lot of people are going to buy knifes and kitchen utensils costing that much. I had the exact same interview that you had with the scissors and there were plenty of other applicants that made it. Why? Because they are so desperate for people, and will hire anyone. I'm also out of a job myself, I'm 21 and I'm in college and I have lots of experience but it’s so hard to find a job. Everyday I look on the internet and newspapers for jobs Vector is always advertising for the same job, that’s because no one wants to work there and everyone quits after they realize how ridiculous the job is. They usually advertise the job to college students and high school graduates because they know they will take anything that comes their way. The training is not even paid and you will sit there for eight hours listening to people teach you how to sell knifes and cook ware not to mention the training is unpaid. I attended one day of training and I never weren’t back again.

One of my friends got a job there and worked for a week and made $16 by the end of the week 8 people out of the 25 that were hired were left.. It’s not worth the hustle if you ask me. If you think you can go door to door and convince people to buy knifes and whatever else they sell then go ahead and take it. No matter how desperate I am I will never work there. I would keep looking for another position else where cause it’s not worth it. Keep looking and don’t give up, something will come up. Just don’t do Vector!!! Good Luck

• yea I've read about that damn, so should I call vector or just not bother showing up for the training

• hirer*

• ahahahaha thanks man