Which fighting sport do you prefer more, Boxing or MMA?

As an amateur boxer, I'm a die hard fan of both sports but only because I grew up with boxing more and am currently competing for this sport along with boxings much longer and richer history, I give the slight edge over boxing in terms of my own favoritism between the sports.

Boxing -

MMA -

• Boxing
  • MMA
  • Both are a tie for me.
  • Neither. I don't care for any fighting sport in general.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not a question of which sport is better, it's simply about where the fight takes place. Standing up, most likely an MMA fighter will lose against a boxer. But if it goes to the ground which a lot of fights have potential to go there a boxer would lose against a grappler. If you're a true fight fan you understand the art of boxing and MMA.

• And plus MMA, like boxing, still has rules and a referee so there's always a chance that a boxer may start fighting dirty (using elbows, punching while clinching, groin strikes and eye gouging).

What Girls Said 3

• I do boxing and MMA I love them both :) my ex girlfriend thought I would look sexy doing MMA so I gave it a go and enjoyed it.

• Probably MMA

• Boxing.. BY FAR

What Guys Said 12

• HEMA is better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc

*note , not as cool without dramatic music but still fun when you're participating in one.

• MMA
    It's more diverse with the different fighting disciplines and it's more brutal.
    I like using my legs, elbows, knees too when fighting :) my whole body should and is a weapon
    Some of nastiest knockouts have been headkicks (look up Mirko Cro Cop <- this dude is lethal)

• True. MMA is intended to be a fighting sport of versatality. However, regardless of how brutal MMA appears on TV, Boxing still has far more in-the-ring deaths than MMA (despite than MMA is still a new sport) has ever had.

• That's a selling point for MMA :D

• where's WWE?

• Neither. MMA is not an art in my opinion It is a sanctioned bar brawl. I stopped watching boxing after Muhammad Ali was brain damaged. If this is what a sport does to it's best and brightest, then it is not worthy to be called a sport.

I am a Kung Fu practitioner, by the way.

• Then you dont know what you are looking at. To the uneducated it may look like a brawl but it most definitely is not.

• I beg to differ. I understand exactly what I am seeing and I realize the training it requires. That does not make it noble. A great deal of preparation goes into street fighting too. That does not mean I respect it.

• Mma is way more technical. Boxing is just very limited. I like boxing for what it is but I wouldn't be scared or one in an actual fight.

• MMA fighters are trained to have more physical tools but that doesn't mean that they'll beat a boxer every time nor that you should ever underestimate a boxer in a non-sanctioned fight or street fight. Look what happened to Tim Sylvia who foolishly attempted to stand up and bang with an ex-boxer (Ray Mercer).

• He was a ufc champ when that meant he was closer to being number ten in the world at that time. If I can be completly honest the ufc champ is cain velasquez but the linear champ is fabricio werdum qho beat fedor. So the undisputed champ will be decided this weekend for the first time in years.

• The ufc belt at the time wasn't considered much of anything. Ufc champs went to japan and got the shit kicked out of them by guys ranked like five.

• I say MMA is tougher

• MMA then Kickboxing, I never cared much for boxing. Dislike the rules.

• MMA is not as boring as boxing

• I prefer boxing because mma is quite brutal! Haha does WWE count? I know its fake but I still think its cool.

• MMA looks more brutal but boxing still has far more in-the-ring deaths than MMA (despite MMA still being a very new sport).

• But its easier to become a boxer than an mma fighter, mma is very diverse and complex.

• I wouldn't say boxing or MMA is easier than the other. Just different. Only a very handful of pro boxers get a promoted by big name promotions like Top Rank, Golden Boy and Don King and and an even smaller handful get heavily pushed like Pacquiao and Mayweather along with making the kind of money that they do.

• tie for me. I also love kickboxing.

• I like boxing better, MMA is fine and all but, i don't like all that ground and pound stuff

• boxing. mma is too boring with all the holds.

• Well, it's whatever you prefer. Most people I know of who watch MMA, only want to see stand up brawls rather than the technical grappling aspect of MMA fights. Nothing wrong with having a preference though.

• i consider boxing to pretty though.

• pretty technical*