Why does God dislike Polyester blends?

Leviticus 19:19 reads, "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

So why does God dislinke cotton polyester blends?

Most Helpful Guy

• As how I understand it texts from any religion are based out of specifics to regional situations based out of behavioral observations at the point of time in that era. We can connect it symbolically and absorb them in the larger sense. Holding on to them in this era by the word is only for priests and impractical for regular people.

• yeah. I think there was a lot that was written to differentiate the Hebrews from the Canaanites. That is where the anti-homosexual, anti-bestiality, and anti-prostitution language comes from (Canaanites sexual rituals involved homosexuality and bestiality and prostitution). It is also why there are examples of prostitution in the Bible that are regarded as okay. It was only "Temple Prostitution that was frowned upon.
      So it all gets whacky and then the literalists try and paint anything they don't understand as SYMBOLIC.. lol... sometimes it was just politics that are so old we have forgotten them.

• You are CORRECT! it was a type of politics for that point of time. It's awesome for those who can understand the true meaning & intent of these writings, such people perceive existence and life in a different as well as true manner :) the taste of that is liberating :)

• Thank you my friend for your kind, thoughtful and gracious gesture of selecting my opinion the MH :) Your generous gesture stands fully appreciated :)

What Girls Said 2

• Your translation is incorrect because it should say animals instead of cattle.

"'Keep my decrees. "'Do not mate different kinds of animals. "'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. "'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

This means that you judge each standard by the standard by which it should be judged by. So you judge an adult by an adult's standard and a child by a child's standard. You judge a Jewish person by a Jewish standard and you judge a Christian by a Christian standard. It means not to place standards, expectations, and relationships in contexts where they don't belong.

The second verse means, don't have double motives when you do something. So if you give money to a charity - do it either to help others or to buy friends - don't do it partially to help others and partially to acquire fame and praise for yourself. Everything you do must have a single motive, single desire and single purpose. this is to prevent hypocrisy, dishonesty and self-deception.

The third part initially said do not mix wool and linen together. Wool represents a submissive, or subordinate condition or state of being such as a pupil following a pastor. Linen represents a condition of leadership, prestige, honour and status. The verse means when you are in a given context, you must be either the pupil or the teacher but should not try to be a mixture of the two together. You are either following / serving and obeying or you are leading but you should not try to do both at the same time.

• It depends on the version that you are using. I obviously did not translate from the Hebrew. Have you? Do you really think it matters?

• I don't know Hebrew well enough to translate the original manuscript into English but I have enough experience with the bible to know when something in the bible is flawed and not a reflection of the original intentions of the divinely inspired word. I have read multiple translations over the course of different decades (different copies from different decades) and I know when one translation is better than another.

• I love how you try and be so specific with the translation than you leap into the stratosphere with your interpretation of the meaning. Well. Point by point. There were no Christians, so you can forget that part. I think they were really talking about cattle/animals. I don't think it was meant as allegory. This is Leviticus we are talking about. ... Im not going through the rest. Perhaps when I have time... but I think that when you push a text to say what you want it to say, especially in the Law, you wind up getting a long way from the original intent. I have also read that the mixing types of cloth came from distinction from the Caananites. Who knows.

• That's so weird... I have no idea

What Guys Said 7

• did polyester exist back then?

• It was talking about mixing ANY fabrics.

• Whoever wrote the Bible may have been a clothes salesmen or tailor lol I don't know. Not much to look into deeply.

• There are a lot of things in there... I guess the worst would be a gay man with crushed testicles , in a church, who has had a goat wearing a cotton polyester blend, while wearing pearls, and eating clams. (all prohibited things.)

• lol whoever wrote the Bible must have been trippin

• It is an abomination! LOL.

• Frankly, there's a lot in the Bible that doesn't make sense.

• He is a human product of the ancient near east.

• What does this have to do with anything...

• That's precisely why "God" dislikes Polyester among other things. The people living in that time imagined him disapproving of the same things that they did.

• I don't know, you couldn't mix seeds in a field. You couldn't mix different ox breeds...

• Hahahahaha

• This was specific to a time and event.

"These and other prohibitions were designed to forbid the Israelites to engage in fertility cult practices of the Canaanites. The Canaanites believed in sympathetic magic, the idea that symbolic actions can influence the gods and nature."