How bad is the racism in America?

Right now I'm living in the Caribbean , St. Thomas Us. Vi to be exact and down here we don't have much white people , and the white people aren't racist at all , the are really cool and nice. In a couple months My Mom My Brother And I will be leaving to go to America and I'm really nervous and scared , especially for my brother being that he is a black male. I saw a video of a white Texas "Cop" violating a black 14 year old girl and in my head I'm saying this could be me or my 5 year old niece seeing that my sister is moving to Texas next month... I am just really scared because never once in my life I have been told about my skin color. I just don't want to be dead because of the tone of my skin. Please tell me is being black a problem in Florida Kissimmee , cause that's where i'll be at

Most Helpful Guy

• Not bad at all... we have a Black president , don't we? There is a lot of anti-white racism. But people think that is okay... well non whites.

• Just because there' a black president doesn't mean racism has stopped coming from all corners.

• I go to a school with a bunch of interracial couples and no one is judging them.

• I'm glad. The media tends to make it sound so awful here. They like to enflame racial issues. Politicians like to play racial politics. The real world isn't bad at all.

What Guys Said 9

• racism's EVERYWHERE worldwide... includin America :)

• But I heard American has the most racism.

• Racism exist everywhere, but the media tend to exaggerate it a lot since its America and everyone loves to scrutinize America's problems. Blatant racism is very rare, but I will admit that institutional racism is prevalent in America and I think thats due to the In-Group vs Out-group mentality where everyone is subconsciously mistrustful of those who they don't/can't identify with.

Regardless of that America is a huge place and some places will be more accepting of differences then other places. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but down here in Tampa, Florida, I've rarely seen any type of blatant racism occur. If it did then it most likely occurred subtly.

• It varies a lot depending on where you are. Where I'm from, the most notable form of racism is my mom locking the car doors when we're stopped at a stop light and there's a black guy in casual clothing waiting to cross. She wouldn't do it if it was a white guy unless he was wearing baggy clothing or looked homeless. Here racism manifests itself in an uneasy feeling. At school, black students tend to fit in okay if they'd like to, but the discomfort is just noticeable enough so that students would rather hang out with people of their own race most of the time. I've never heard anyone say they dislike anyone for being black or think inter-racial relationships are wrong or anything like that. But there is a disproportionate number of black people in poverty, and so black neighborhoods form with crime, harsh police force, accidents that lead people to believe in institutionalized racism, civilian culture that hates cops, cop culture that doesn't trust black people, and white civilians being afraid of seeming racist and therefore avoiding black people. It's a really annoying cycle that's tearing people apart, but I've heard other places in the US are way worse with full fledged racial hatred.

• I wouldn't like to be black and young in some American states.
    But that won't happen, ever.

• No worries! People will absolutely love you because you will have an "islander" accent.

• Racism does exist, but everyone think it's much worse than what it really is. I'm Texas and I've never seen or experienced any kind of racism at all.

• Like anywhere else, it depends where you go

• not NEARLY as bad as its made out to be, but its there.

• I got a feeling you'll be fine. Maybe a little more disrespected, but fine.

What Girls Said 2

• You're going to bump into a few assholes here and there but you just have to ignore 'em to the best of your abilities.

• Hmmm well Florida has its problems. That part of Florida sounds like it has a lot of white people. Since its 2015 and not 1950s, you should be fine. Yeah you might run into a few dumbfucks but hey thats life. Don't worry so much and don't put yourself in any questionable positions.

P. S. I'm from Miami

• Thanks

• A man told me they'll love me because of my "Islander" Accent 😂😂

• Well tbh honest everyone loves accents here xD I like Bahamian and Jamaican accents a lot