How can I prepare myself for someone's death?

I need help in a weird thing , but this is extremely serious. I have always feared losing people I love or those who are close to me ( Luckily , I have never experienced this before ) especially my parents , I can't bear the idea of them leaving me. I don't wanna attend this day and I wish I die before them. I am an 18 yr old girl whose father and mother are 66 and 54 years old respectively. I don't know who will die before who , but as you can see they are aging. So if they were to die first , I totally know that I couldn't help it , I wouldn't be able to change that. So I decided to embrace this painful idea and to behave differently , so I can at least make it hurt less. How can I prepare myself mentally for this day? I am in deep need to start following any advice or tips about this from this very moment. I have no time to waste !! :/

Most Helpful Guy

• You shouldn't worry about it and enjoy the time you have together. There really is no way to prepare yourself for that so why change your relationship with them? Just appreciate the time you spend with them

• Yeah , I just need to understand how can I accept such fact. I didn't mean I wanted to prevent it from happening , because I know I won't be able to , I just needed to know how to be strong if i ever I faced this moment

What Guys Said 10

• This is unfortunately something we deeply regret and I know it's the hardest thing you will ever face in your lifetime. I faced the same thing you are facing now and dreaded the moment either of my parents past away. My mom was turned 72 the year my dad past in the year of 2000. Before I lost my dad I begin to lose it and that became intense for more than a couple of years because I knew sooner or later my mom would be next and I couldn't get that out of my mind. We lost our dad as of yesterday in fact it made 15 years ago and me and my brother visited the cemetery to put flowers on his grave. But we didn't only put flowers on his grave we also put flowers on our moms grave to. She past away in 2012. To this day I still have a lot of pain over losing them me and my brother both but we both know our mom and dad are with us in Spirit. I asked God to send me a sing my mom was in Heaven with him and I got several signs after she past. Yesterday when got in our vehicle to leave turning on the ignition to start up a song done by Elvis was playing on the radio half way through and it was the song they played at Elvis's funeral in 1977. All you can do is ask for God's help and trust him to help you get through it. But try not to focus to hard on it because it can really mess you up at times when you need to have your head on straight so you can be there for your parents and try to spend as much time as you can with them and cherish every moment you can and you will be thankful you did that one day. Here is the song that was playing when we got in our vehicle yesterday to leave the cemetery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISPgbosZUw

• I forgot to mention our mom liked Elvis a lot and we had a Elvis impersonator come to her birthday a few years before she passed away. Our dad was also Cajun and a Cajun song came on back to back to Elvis's song as we left the cemetery.

• I am so sorry to hear about your loss , may God give the strength to endure their absence ! Of course , they are with you. Thanksfor your advice... I won't over-think it and I'll just enjoy their company till the last minute

• Thank you for your condolence I really appreciate it.

• You just can't. But everyone will die one day.
    Remember: the graveyards are full of people who couldn't be missed. And life goes on nevertheless.

• Yeah , I understand that acceptance is the key. But how can I develop acceptance for such an idea is what I find challenging and needs a lot of effort

• I'd use the word resignation too.

• To be honest, you just can't. I wasn't prepared for my great granmas death, but in a way I was too because I knew she was old and her time was coming soon. You just accept it as a sad and cruel fact in the circle of life that people die, and then you move on from it.

• Yeah , I understand , but how can I develop acceptance for such an idea is what I find challenging and needs a lot of effort. I'm sorry to hear about your loss :/

• No problem at all. Hopefully it won't be too hard on you, but just stay happy you seeing them while you can.

• Yeah , I'll keep trying my best ! :)

• Don't overthink it - Enjoy life now

• Firstly u should know we all gonna die, secondly u might die before them no one knows, and of course u should know u r gonna loose them in some part of ur life u should accept it and try to live with this idea it's something we all gonna experience

• I hope I do die before them , I really do !! Yeah , I understand that but how can I develop acceptance for such an idea. That needs a lot of effort. So that's what I actually need help in. May God keep them safe for me

• Yeah

• AWESOME me too :)

• The purpose of life is to be born, improve this world and then move on to be with God. If you look and study deeply heaven does exist. Speak to those people who have died and came back. Your fear is based off of not knowing your creator, now is the time. You may need to search but you will find what you want.

If you really understand physics, energy can neither be created or destroyed, it just changes form.

• that's the cycle of life, parents die and then you have to start your new family... and life, it's sad but true

• Yeah , it's really awful :/
      But how to develop the concept of acceptance for such a fact though?

• You can't! Sorry!

• I'm not sure. I don't know how a person can prepare for someone's death, including their own.

• so is anyone else excited for Jurassic world? I know I'm not.

What Girls Said 5

• honestly its not really something you can prepare for.

once it happens, it hurts... a lot. and you kind of just have to accept it to survive. grief can just overwhelm you if you let it, and its the determination to live your life, one day at a time, that helps you get out of it.

there isn't really anything you can "practice" now except to love your parents and enjoy the time you have with them.

• Here's something from WebMD:
    www.webmd.com/.../coping-with-impending-death

I think you should buy a journal and write your thoughts out in it. It may help. I have an anger journal that helps me out a lot.

• Don't spend the time they are with you worrying about them being gone. Just enjoy your time with them and make special memories. Everyone dies at some point and we can't do anything about it, so there's no point of worrying about something you have no control over.

• Yeah , I understand that acceptance is the key. But to develop acceptance for such an idea is what I find challenging and needs a lot of effort. I wanna do my best in order not to be so much broken by this situation , because I believe a person with acceptance is strong enough to handle any terrible thing in this world... I just don't know how

• You're overthinking. Just don't think about it.

• You can't really prepare yourself, just try to make the best out of the time you have left.

• Well I understand I tried to prepare myself for my dad's death and he died at the age of 41 (only because he had a disease and I knew his time was coming) I cried a lot before it happened and I wrote about my feeling wrote songs and even drew there really isn't a way all I remembered doing was imagining what was going to happen so I would somewhat get a feel. It's a terrible thing to think about.😫😥😔

• Oh I am sorry about your loss :O
      so didn't that somehow help you?

• Kinda you kinda have to experiment! I mean I knew exactly what was going to happen before anything happened and now I can talk about his death without getting emotional