Is Feminism important?

It seems to be so popular a topic but does it have any actual social impact?

• Yes, my life was changed by feminism!
  • No, my life wasn't actually changed by feminism...

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it has had an impact. In the same way that electricity did--it's in the background of my life, having altered the society that existed before it.

Now, if you are talking about today's initiatives, by and large they don't. I honestly chuckle at things like the campaign to go topless (by all means, do, lol ;) ). I don't go out of my way to support or combat initiatives, because frankly, I have more pressing concerns on my time.

However, if something came along that I felt particularly strong about one way or the other, I might get involved--in that case, it may impact my life in some way. By and large, most Western initiatives just aren't pressing enough to worry about, in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd rather spend my time meeting cute girls, fucking, and having fun talking to women rather than worrying about all that other nonsense.

The way I see it, where I live, both men and women have equal opportunity to succeed, but it's up to the individual to get the results they want. Both men and women have their own issues to overcome to get that result, but it's possible to get, so I don't entertain other people's complaints--because they are simply excuses.

What Girls Said 10

• First and second wave feminism actually had significant social impact, and the ideas from those waves are still playing an important role in developing countries where women are not afforded the rights that we are in the West - like education, voting, working, the choice of whether or not to get married (many women and children are forced into marriage in other parts of the world), etc. The current wave of feminism has just gone haywire and is having negative social impact. I think we need to focus on males and females now.

• Feminism is necessary in places like Africa and Asia not here. If it hadn't happened in the past my life would be changed but since I was born feminism hasn't affected me.

• Yes. Feminism in the past still affects me today. So hell yeah feminism is important.
    i don't see a time when the equality between the sexes isn't important

• Feminism, the Civil Movement, has nothing to do with equality. It was a Civil Movement.

• I never said you were a 1st wave feminist either. What I did say is that movements, of civil nature, do evolve, but do end. Feminism as a civil movement is over. 3rd Wave Feminism is actually a sociological movement that expresses concerns related to non-legal matters so when one talks about civil rights and then makes note of modern feminism this instantly calls into question their knowledge of what "Civil Rights" actually are.

Also, there wasn't, isn't, and has never been a solidified "ideology / teachings" for any social movement so you can't possibly agree with them all, or even a majority, since many contradict on various key factors. Instead you agree with the outcomes and general attitude, which is fine, but again brings us to the same problem of understanding the Waves and their political importance regarding civil and social matters and differentiating.

This isn't a conversation by the way; rather than me explain to you how things work let's just call it even. Thanks.

• Well okay.
      But before we go I never said 3rd wave feminism or social feminism was about civil rights, I just related it to civil rights movement.
      And I didn't mention ideaology/teachings for social feminism.
      But see ya

• My life wasn't changed by it and I don't feel oppressed or mistreated as a woman but feminism is important to me.

• Yes, it allowed me to be aware of where I fit in society whereas before I didn't see the minor things that made me feel lesser than a male. It also made me realize the amount of pressure put on both genders in order to sustain a structural society even though we as individuals are far from it.

• It's a big deal since sexist pigs are still present in societies.

• Yes. My life is only as it is, due to feminists who fought for equal rights, for men and women. Have todays modern feminists changed my life? No, but they have dragged the word "feminism" down the drain, and made it into something dirty and radical.

• Feminism is important because I believe it fights for equality of both genders. Without equality in the controversy there will never be peace

• Probably B.

• it is important, but people instead of speaking about it need to do something, men and women.

What Guys Said 10

• Yeah feminism affects people. One third of our classmates were aborted. Fathers kicked out of homes with the aid of the government. Then robbed. Look at it now women are the majority in college with worthless degrees. Who pays the majority of taxes. Men do. Even a female doctor will pay less taxes in her life then a male doctor for the simple fact that women dont want to work as much. So you ask who suffers from feminism. My only answer is civilization.

• Tbh, In the Western world, Feminism is fucking stupid, Other then Combat Military roles, there is nothing chicks can't do that guys can't.

And all this ''Free the nipple'' bulshit is just a big way of starting a fucking argument where one not need be.

• whether one likes or dislikes feminism, its undeniable that it has a social impact. Feminism is the movement of choice to embrace by the powers that be, and feminist ideology is what is being pushed in the mainstream. The only place where I see it resisted strongly is on the internet

• Yeah I think it has helped gender equality

• Depends on a region.

It's definitely important for me for feminism to develop in NA and EU.
    Of course, I will oppose it by any means necessary in my country :)

• somehow it was changed yeah

• Yes it has had a social impact... but not in a good way.

I'll let others explain you why not...

• The acts of the past changed the present, and the acts of the present will better the future.

• Another fad... like the yo-yo.

• yes it does.