Why is everyone so short?

Where I live, I'm taller than 95% of people both men and women.. yet I'm only 5'8.
My background is German and Norwegian (which are very tall countries) but I'm not used to so many short people.

I was holding on to the metal bar on the subway, and two women actually walked under my arm! haha they were like 4'7 o.0

I know this might sound mean, but I feel so out of place and like I'm walking around in midget land half the time :/
Why don't people just grow more?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 5'8 too. Taller than 85% of girls here w

here I live. I don’t understand it either.

• I feel like 5'8 should be normal height for a girl, but instead we're freaks of nature lol

• Yes!! Meh, I'll just be my sexy freak of nature self 😎

But in all honesty I don't even feel that tall! I can reach everything and hide wherever I'd like.

• Well the average height for guys is 5'10"

What Guys Said 7

• The average height of a man in the US is 5'10, so you can't be taller than 95% of people in the US. And it's pretty much the same in Canada, and in Europe there are countries that are even taller.

• I'm 6'4 and I feel as the world was built for umpa lumpa's. I got to bend down to was my hands, duck when coming into doorways it's a pain.

• haha. I feel like I'm more normal than they are sometimes...
      I mean, who the hell stops growing at age 8. I swear I was taller than half these grown women when I was in 2nd grade. wtf?

• lol, I feel you pain

• Well you can stick up your butt you German nazi!

• actually my grandfather was one. But ok

• 5'8 is short for some countries, but for others it's tall. Race and heritage/background have a lot to do with height.

• I guess you haven't been to the US. I'm 6'1" and a lot of other people are about that tall.

• I actually live in the US 8 months of the year. The other 4 in Canada. My dad is 6'1, and he's always the tallest person in the crowd, with the exception of 1 or 2.

• Wow! Really? It seems you would rather date short guys.

• not "rather", but I have seen tons of hot guys who were short. It's frustrating that I'm not shorter so I could go for them.
      Short girls have way more options.

• I am 6'1 and people in Germany aren't that short

• I need to go there so I can feel more normal

• 5'8 is not very tall though

• Where I live, it's really tall because there are so many different cultures and ethnic backgrounds. I'd say the average woman here is 5'2.

• Gluten is to blame

What Girls Said 8

• I'm 4'11"-5' it's crazy how some people are super tall... It's kind of sad really. I guess when we are in a sense a minority we all feel out of place... I guess just be proud of your height. Why would you want to be be shorter, I mean almost everyone else is taller. I love being short now but it gets annoying af when the tall people tease me about or call me "cute" cause I am short. So enjoy the view.

• 5'0 is way more common than a girl who's 5'10. I would love to see how it feels to blend in for once, and be seen as cute. I think a lot of tall women are seen as manly

• And if that's the case however you choose the flatter your body type beats what anyone thinks

• Also long legs are extremely sexy. Make the most out of your height. make yourself the exotic beauty of your city or town and not the freak show. Be confident. You're beautiful and you need to make sure you let everyone know you own it.

• The average height of a woman is 5'5" so... Why don't you shrink more?

• I always ate really healthy foods to grow as tall as possible. A lot of people don't have access to nutritious things, so they can't possibly reach maximum height.
      There's also genes and environmental factors

• "Why don't people just grow more?"

Because it doesn't work like that and we're fucked on the daily with the short stick.

• I thought you were taking a break from gag?

• @JSmuve til getting on GaG is fun again. Right now it's just boring and almost chore-like as with everything else in my life. :/

I'll still pop on from time to time I'm sure, because I get curious about how my friends are doing, but I doubt I'll do much posting for awhile. Unless a question realllllllyyy catches my eye.

• Allllllllllriiiiiiiiight.

• Go to a place where the average is taller. :v
    In my country 1,60m is the female average and I'm 1,66m, but if I go to Hungary I'm average, so it depends on where you are.

• I'm 5'2" :p

• A huge number of women here aren't even 5'0 yet :0

• Genetics.. loool

• I feel you. I'm 5'6 and I still feel like a giant sometimes compared to most here in Miami.

• My mom is 5'8", my two aunts are 5'9" and another is 5'10. I happen to get the short trait from my dad's side but you aren't alone