What is wrong with being a nerd?

I saw some male poster being mean to a girl online and he went saying that she was probably a nerd picked on at school and thought that was funny. What is there to be laughing about that?

Even if that was true, there is no excuse for anyone to treat someone poorly.

Why was this guy even thinking that a nerd that gets picked on and/or bullied at school is something to be laughed at?

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally understand you. I see a lot of things like that on the internet too. It's horrible. I agree whole heartedly with you. I mean, I know that a lot of people think being a nerd or dork is a cool thing (I'm a geek, lmao, and I'm not ashamed about it), but it doesn't excuse guys, girls, ANYONE from making a comment like that, because it was meant as an insult and it could really hurt somebody.
    Even though society has become more acceptable towards accepting "nerds and etc", there are still plenty of jerks who think it's not socially acceptable to be under that label. And people who laugh about the very idea of someone, anyone (No matter what label), getting picked on or bullied, are pathetic. Especially when thoughts or comments like that are online, because it's officially out there: everyone can see the hurtful comment/jab. Social media is like that.
    We all know how comments like those can really hurt someone. It's stupid jabs at people under those certain labels that lead people to self harm (metally, physically, and spiritually). We can't do anything to really stop someone from saying crap like that, but hopefully someday we can all show how much behavior like that is discouraged. And that might help lessen the type of verbal abuse that happens.

• Someone like that poster that finds it funny needs to get picked on themselves for a whole day and then come back and say if they liked it. It's a sad reality that people like him will eventually bring up kids into the world and I can't imagine what values they will teach them.

• True. But i hope for his sake, his (future) wife's sake, and his future child/children's sake, that he's learned and matured by then. I'm so sorry for the long answer

What Guys Said 5

• Nothing is wrong with being a nerd. No one needs to be made fun of for having interests that are considered not normal/popular. I think it takes a strong person to go against the typical and be your own person.

• Because many kids feel rewarded by making others feel terrible about themselves. Bullies even see making someone commit suicide as a "victory". They have no respect for their lives, or them as a person or a human being in general.

• I think the only way for them to understand how hurtful it was what they say is for them to be bullied themselves for a whole day or so and them come back and tell us how it was.
      It's sad that those very same people like that poster are going to one day breed.

• I'd pick on her and flirt but because I find her attractive like most geeky girls :3

• i bet the feminist came up with that poster. We all know only females would do such a thing to another girl until she develops an eating disorder.

Us guys we give atomic wedgies every now and then.

• Their is absolutely nothing wrong with being considered a nerd. The guy who was picking at her probably ahs very small and insignificant genitalia.

What Girls Said 4

• if i got called a nerd id be SUPER flattered lol as long as they said i was fun at the same time :P

• I don't know where you are getting this, but being a nerd is awesome. I am both nerd and dork. If someone is picking on you for being a nerd, tell them that your proud of being a nerd.

• Is it good. I was never picked on myself. It's just that in another question, I saw a male poster replying in that manner to a girl. He went on saying ''You've must been a nerd picked on... or something like that'' lol. There is nothing funny about that statement.

• I know. Nerds are cool. Here that world 'I am proud to be a dorkolicous Nerdling'.

• I don't think there's anything wrong with being a nerd or highly intellectual as they happen to be, if anything, I see it as something to be proud of

• True. Whoever thinks like that male poster needs to seriously get picked on for a whole day and see if they like it.

• I used to get picked on for being a nerd just because I was good at school work (I don't even really look like a nerd) ... now I am the one with an awesome career... and in the workplace we either have "nerds" that are awesome at what they do, or people who think they are awesome for being awesome at what they do.

• People like that male poster makes me wish that they would get picked on constantly and see how they like it. I've never been picked on but an aunt's friend has and according to her, at the time it was a feeling of not belonging and thinking there is something wrong with you.

• Yes that is how it feels... and my husband has destroyed our marriage doing it to me constantly because I gained weight when I had my daughter. He says he was only joking, but it was constant and it's not a joke to me - it chipped away myself esteem for years so now we are separated and I'm getting out!..